UKC

35mm Slide Scanner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 23 Nov 2016
I'm looking for a good quality scanner - not too expensive - to convert transparencies to digital.

Grateful for any recommendations please.

Thanks
 Indy 23 Nov 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Nikon Coolscan is what I used.... still in the loft somewhere.
OP FesteringSore 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Indy:

> - not too expensive -
 Andy Johnson 23 Nov 2016

I bought a Plustek OpticFilm8200iAi a couple of years ago and have had good results from it for slides and negative film.

Current price on Amazon is about £330. It comes bundled with SilverFast software, but I prefer to use VueScan.
 Indy 23 Nov 2016

Gosh, I'm genuinely surprised that a product that was discontinued 5+ years ago is selling for around the same price as I paid new.
 ali_colquhoun 23 Nov 2016

I use a plustek 8100. Its pretty good. If you are only doing black and white then there is no point shelling out more for the 8200 as the only extra thing you get is scratch removal and so on. This feature cannot work with black and white. I got mine from Park Cameras.

Its a bit of a job maybe 2-3 minutes per slide/negative. But getting it done where I live is 9.99 a roll. So well worth getting one.

rif 23 Nov 2016

Scanners in the Epson Perfection series can scan several slides at once, come with fairly versatile software, and get good reviews for image quality. The V550 is relatively cheap (rrp £200).

I've been using a Quato Intelli Scan 5000. Been pleased with results
 Stone Idle 23 Nov 2016

You could try a slide light box and a decently sharp lens with camera on a tripod. So long as it all lines up the results are good.
 FactorXXX 23 Nov 2016
In reply to David Barlow:

See http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=584819&v=1#x7744422

I've experimented with doing the same but with negatives and once you get the hang of it, it's fairly straight forward.
The only problem, is that the whole set up (tripod, lightbox) is quite big and unless you have a spare room, etc. it's a bit of a pain to keep setting up. Definitely worth considering if you've got the kit though.
Here's an example: -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132898553@N08/28653251203/in/dateposted-publi...
 gethin_allen 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Indy:

One of these was thrown away in work recently, it only had a parallel port on it and nobody knew what one of them was.
OP FesteringSore 24 Nov 2016
I've seen some at !see than £200-£300. More in my budget.
OP FesteringSore 24 Nov 2016

> I've seen some at LESS than £200-£300. More in my budget.

elsewhere 26 Nov 2016
Slight hijack and I hope that is OK...

...can anybody recommend a company that does slide scanning?

Indy 26 Nov 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

Can't recommend anywhere but friend needed to scan a roll about a year ago and ended up paying £10ish for a so so job.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...