UKC

First aid training in schools?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 23 Nov 2016
Seems like a great idea to me, but because some Tory can't remember the first aid he was taught in school, kids shouldn't be taught to save lives in schools!

I have run out of words to express my exasperation at this government!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mps-block-bill-to-give-f...
 Neil Williams 23 Nov 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

Not new news, but I do think filibustering needs banning; it is antidemocratic as it prevents a democratic vote on a Bill.
 markAut 23 Nov 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

Would love my kids to learn first aid in school, but I've just seen what my eldest will be doing for SATs next year. They have lots to get through before then. Think the curriculum needs sorting first to make it practical.

Luckily, brownies gave them their first aid badge, so they've done something.
 marsbar 23 Nov 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=629036

I think this has popped up again because facebook put memories on.

I think my suggestion of sending him first aid instruction manuals pdfs to his email must have been in the pub. I sent him a few anyway, but he seemed to enjoy the attention a little too much so I stopped the conversation.
 marsbar 23 Nov 2016
In reply to markAut:

It's crazy, some of the stuff they want them to learn is utterly pointless.
 Dax H 23 Nov 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

I can't see any reason not to teach emergency first aid in school's.
I did it back in the 80's and fortunately never needed to use it and though some things have changed I was surprised how much I remembered in the early 2000s when I did it again for work.

My nice did it at guides when she was only about 12 or so, a few years later when my wife collapsed in the street she was with her and did the checks and put her in the recovery position (I know it's not called that anymore but it was the first thing I learned and it stuck) and called an ambulance.
 marsbar 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Dax H:

Well done to your niece.
 DerwentDiluted 23 Nov 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

I can't remember how to solve quadratic equations which I learnt at school. Ban maths in schools now!

Greasy Prusiks 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

“The title gives away the principle of this bill: compulsory emergency first aid education in state-funded secondary schools. The point I am trying to make is that I do not agree with the principle of compulsory first aid education in schools. Why on earth would I allow a bill that principle of which I don’t like a second reading?” he said.

Because that's democracy you cretin.
 Neil Williams 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Because that's democracy you cretin.

Quite. The behaviour is disgraceful. FWIW, I would be in favour of a change of the rules such that for a time-limited bill debate is required to cease sufficiently in advance at the end for a vote to take place - cutting filibusterers off if necessary. Though to be fair I think the Speaker should have the right to insist they shut up or leave if they are not actually making a point to the debate.
 Greasy Prusiks 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yeah I agree. My earlier post may have been a little brusque but it winds me up that politicians are happy to play games like this. If I tried to waste time in a meeting just because I didn't like the topic of discussion I'd get told to button it pdk.
 SenzuBean 23 Nov 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> I can't remember how to solve quadratic equations which I learnt at school.

The quadratic formula is burned into my brain forever (fortunately? unfortunately?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...