UKC

Anyone used Alpkit CarbonLite poles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fenda 24 Nov 2016
I've been looking at the Alpkit CarbonLite poles. They're very light and go for only 49 pounds.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/carbonlite-pair

I emailed their support team asking about baskets and they said the ones that come with it are fairly small. Has anyone tried attaching snow baskets to them? I plan to use these in winter conditions.
 guy127917 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Fenda:

I have a pair, have found them pretty good as a basic pole. They are very light and cheap, the cons being they dont fold down very small (not really a big issue) and being twist lock, the bottom section does collapse occasionally. I haven't trie snow baskets with them, but would be interested if you find some that fit...
 Babika 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Fenda:

Depends where and how much use to intend to give them I guess.

My friend has a carbon pair by another manufacturer and has snapped them twice while we've been out together in winter.

Given the abuse they can take in descent I think rufty- tuftiness is preferable, even if it means a few more grams.
 neuromancer 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Fenda:

32g more per pole

karrimor carbons?

flicklock and less than half the price?
 galpinos 25 Nov 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

Mike Ashley/Sports Direct?

Mal Grey 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Fenda:

I have a pair of the Alpkit poles, and rate them highly except for the baskets, which have both broken. I keep meaning to e-mail them as I'm sure they'll send out another set, customer service is always good. The poles themselves are good quality, don't "slip" and are very light indeed. I had a pair of cheapo carbonfibres once which broke very quickly, but these are a step up apart from the baskets.

OP Fenda 25 Nov 2016
I ended up going for the new CAMP Sky Carbon poles. Found them on deal for 77 quid and they've had pretty good reviews so far. http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8644

Snow baskets are essential to me. Also, having flicklock over twist and a smaller collapsed size eventually won me over.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...