UKC

Beinn Luibhean

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 25 Nov 2016
A possibility tomorrow. Been up via the south from Rest and Be Thankful. Thinking of an ascent from Butterbridge.

What's the north shoulder like? Steep? Too risky with a dog in tow? Forecast is for about 5 degrees C tomorrow. What kind of surface could I expect on the snow? Some give to rock hard? If good footing rather than scrapping along glass hard snow in crampons, would seem viable.
 Mark Bull 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> What's the north shoulder like? Steep?

I've been down that way: nothing worse than some moderately steep grass. There's a path beside the burn - it's probably worth staying on this a bit beyond the top of the forestry to avoid some rocky outcrops low down. You can return via the Bealach a' Mhargaidh to make a wee circuit.

Can't imagine the snow has consolidated very much - thin soft snow on top of wet grass will likely be the worst hazard.
OP Flinticus 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Mark Bull:

That is my intended return route. Been down that way on a wintery descent from Beinn Ime.

That ascent of Ime was on rock hard ice with even my crampons and axe hardly getting in a scratch on the surface. No dog with me then and glad of that.

Also considering nearby Beinn Chorranach as somewhere new to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...