UKC

Moffatdale Conditions 25 Nov

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 25 Nov 2016
6hr round trip to the frozen north or a 1.5hr round trip for a local adventure.....sold!

Random day out down in Moffatdale. Got about 40m of ice done in Upper Coomb Crag on Swatte Fell, but i think it would have been the only climb even close to decent conditions - lots of snow above 650m, but it's all unconsolidated. Ice forming below the main snow line, but not a lot. Turf under snow not frozen. Tops are pretty white though, a wee ski tour across Swatte Fell/White Coomb might be a goer - I abandoned my day due to constant breakable surface crust and/or deep snow. Still, better than a day in the office!

Photos here: https://www.facebook.com/gmsmith99/posts/10154483919975865

Cheers,
Gordon
 rnotman67 26 Nov 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

Hey Gordon, great to see some of the other routes getting traffic, was wondering when things would start freezing down there. Is broken cleugh starting to form yet? Still need to get that completed.
 Pids 26 Nov 2016
In reply to peebles boy:
It's good to get a local day out, nice one

DaveHK 26 Nov 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

Liking these reports Gordon.
OP peebles boy 26 Nov 2016
In reply to rnotman67:

Broken Cleugh/Mirk Side is a funny one... Did it years ago in perfect conditions, with lots of ice and great snow, but been back 3 times since (and drove past yesterday) and there's hardly anything there - not even water sometimes! It's as though the water source has dried up/been diverted. Shame, as it's a cracking wee adventure when in good condition.

Firthope Falls at the top of the Carrifran Burn is the best winter route in the area in my opinion (given that the Grey Mare's Tail comes into condition so rarely!) - gorge approach, hidden from view, lots of short pitches, easy escapes, chance of falling in a plunge pool...!

Cheers,
Gordon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...