UKC

Gran Canaria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 3leggeddog 25 Nov 2016
I am going to Gran Canaria for a wedding in sept. I know there is some climbing there but have heard mixed reports.

How good/poor is the climbing and is there much of a local climbing scene?

Basically is it worth my while packing shoes and harness. Is it easy to find other climbers there. Or should I stick to beach, bar, fishing trip?
 NaCl 26 Nov 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:

I asked the same thing a while ago and received about the same response. Myself and my partner are now booked for a winter break there after christmas in the hopes that the climbing is as good as the weather. I'll do my best to report back and let you know what I thought.
 Trangia 26 Nov 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:

I don't know anything about the climbing there, but the mountain walking is stunning. Pack your walking boots and forget the beach and the bar!

If you only have time to do one walk, to the base of Roque Nubio from La Culuta is fantastic. If you get a local map you can work out a circular or traverse over it. I understand there are climbs on the Roque although I was told by locals that the rock is a bit unreliable.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Nov 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:

I went there several years ago and didn't climb, though I did check out the main areas. A few details in my Blog.

http://chriscraggs.blogspot.co.uk/2007/11/different-worlds.html

Chris
 Rog Wilko 26 Nov 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Second that.
OP 3leggeddog 27 Nov 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks all, I have plenty time to mull over the possibilities. Walking looks good and at a guess the cycling will be too. Anyone know of cycle hire on the island?
 Darron 27 Nov 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Google Rambling Roger to get the lowdown on walking.
 Rog Wilko 27 Nov 2016
In reply to Darron:

.... and definitely use these maps: Discovery Walking Guides (DWG). There are a couple of other more official maps of the island but they are useless for walking.
 Rog Wilko 27 Nov 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> Anyone know of cycle hire on the island?

I didn't use one but there are some fairly decent-looking (if expensive) hire shops which an internet search reveals.
 ebygomm 27 Nov 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:
Freemotion hire road bikes and mountain bikes and also do guided trips. We did a couple of good mountain bike trips with them some years ago.

http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-canaria/
Post edited at 20:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...