UKC

Kinder Scout scrambling - Peak District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MikeMarcus 27 Nov 2016
Hi All

I've just moved to New Mills which is at the foot of Kinder Scout and I'm keen to explore it. I've already done a few scrambles up there (Grinds Brook, Crowden Clough), and the usual paths, etc.

There's a list of scrambles here: http://www.ukscrambles.com/peak-district-scrambles/#kinder-reservoir-scramb... . There's also a book called Dark Peak Scrambling Guidebook and both these resources contain essentially the same list of routes. If you look at a map though theres loads of little gullies and brooks not listed (Golden Clough, Ollerbrook Clough, Roych Cough, Grain Clough to name a few).

What's the situation with these? Are they unexplored, unnavigable, or just not worth the effort?
 Offwidth 27 Nov 2016
In reply to MikeMarcus:
Everything up there is explored. The book doesnt cover everything, as there are some unlisted climbers descents and endless unlisted opportunities to try and climb steep shale but yes it does cover the main worthwhile stuff.
Post edited at 10:45
MikeMarcus 27 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

If it's explored, is any of it recorded anywhere?
 Offwidth 27 Nov 2016
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Some of it as climbing descents as I said (Over the Moors). For instance you could have a fun day climbing as many tors, lumps and pinnacles around the edge as possible coming up a difficult wet scramble like the downfall (M) or an easier dry one like Grindsbrooke Clough.
 DerwentDiluted 27 Nov 2016
In reply to MikeMarcus:

There's a path up Golden clough, and it's 'orrible.
MikeMarcus 27 Nov 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

How so? Chossy?
 brianjcooper 27 Nov 2016
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Steep and ill defined. A quick way up to Nether Tor though. 'Flash Wall' is on my list of routes to do.
 olddirtydoggy 27 Nov 2016
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Blackden Brook was always a personal fav of mine on the Snake side.
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Golden Clough is, imo, the best and fastest way up to the southern rim of Kinder from Edale, but its just a steepish (well-defined) path, not a scramble. Crowden Clough has a section of half decent scrambling near top, plus an exit hole.
 kedvenc72 28 Nov 2016
In reply to MikeMarcus:

I bought the dark peak scramble book and thought it a great buy for the price. Although you can just look up cloughs on the map of course, it has inspired me to get to places I'd not considered exploring and fully recommend it. Blackden brook is probably my favourite route up Kinder, with scrambing options near the top.
 Iain Thow 28 Nov 2016
In reply to MikeMarcus:

A few worthwhile stream scrambles not in the book are Ashway Clough in the Chew, The Cloughs right of Jacob's Ladder (surprisingly good) & Mermaid's Gully (left of the Amphitheatre near the Downfall). All 3 are in the UKC database and the former 2 have some info on Cicerone's website. Also Spike Chimney on the Upper Western Buttresses is graded Diff, but as it's very enclosed most keen scramblers would have no problem with it, and it's brill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...