UKC

Climbing Teide without a permit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anyone help? If climbing Teide without a permit you have to be on the top 200mtrs outwith 9 till 5. Does anyone know if you can start this top part near to 9am or do you have to be up and back down before then?
Thanks in advance - we are too late to get a permit for the dates we are there.
 jon 27 Nov 2016
In reply to Lorraine McCall:
When I was there some years ago we knew nothing about any regulations and simply drove as high as we could, then walked right up to the top. We weren't especially early. There were a few signs but we ignored them as did a few other folk. It didn't take very long and no-one challenged us - which doesn't really answer your question, I'm afraid.
Post edited at 19:55
 olddirtydoggy 27 Nov 2016

I got a permit about 3 years ago but as we were checking past the permit gate, a couple were jumping the fence. Probably depends on who is manning the sentry box on the day and if they can be arsed for a confrontation. The summit is amazing and won't disappoint. Good luck.
 ebygomm 28 Nov 2016

You cannot go to the top without a permit. There is a rule that if you have stayed the previous night in the refuge you can go to the top without a permit before 9am. This might be an option?

Last week they were checking off names as we went through at 9:15am.

nutme 28 Nov 2016
In reply to ebygomm:

But you can step of the trail and climb over the fence. In past it was not a problem and guard didn't give a crap about it.
Removed User 29 Nov 2016

Did this last year. I had permit and top is spectacular. It was heavily policed and jumping the barrier did not look like a viable option while I was there.

The people checking permits come up on first cable car about 9am so easy access before that. Lots of people stay in refuge on East of mountain to summit at dawn without permit.
 Fiona Reid 29 Nov 2016

We were there in November 2014. The guard was most definitely paying attention (despite appearing to be listening to the footie on his radio!) and anyone trying to jump the barrier / go around it didn't get very far. If the guard comes up on the first cable car then it sounds like an early start might be the best option.

Thanks guys.
It sounds like as long as we have entered the top area before the first cable car then we should be okay (if a tad chilly).
I have been reckoning between 4 and 5 hours to get here in the dark. Any thoughts?
 ebygomm 01 Dec 2016

Have you looked at staying in the refuge?
In reply to ebygomm:

Yeah - no room at the inn. The route we are thinking about taking is the one up past refuge.
 Kid Spatula 02 Dec 2016

Should be fine with 4-5 hours. It's very easy and the only issue I had was altitude for some reason.

I would bear in mind that there can be snow and ice. There was a lot when I went up. Non on the summit mind!
 Heike 02 Dec 2016

Hi there, thanks for highlighting this, I didn't know about it, we were going to do this xmas /new year time, but now that we looked into it as you say all booked and no room. Never mind. I guess we could still walk up or take the chairlift to below the summit depending on snow/weather.

Another time.
 Mr Lopez 02 Dec 2016

I asked a friend of mine who used to live there, and he said that he regularly used to go up with no permit.

What he would do is go up late in the evening, hang around with a low profile until the guards left, then go to the summit, have a smoke or 2 up there and after a while just head all the way down to town. Also said that is worth it to be up there for sunset, but if you don't know the descent it could be a bit confusing at night if you take the "shortcuts".

He would however do this with a mountain bike, so walking down rather than cruising downhill on a bike may be a whole different proposition...

(How are you anyway. Long time no see!)

update on climbing Teide.
Lots of people leave about 1 in the morning to climb to summit and wait for sunrise. If you are not booked into the refuge then this is a popular way to do it. It seems to be around 5-6 hours from the refuge route car park depending on how you handle alititude..
I opted for the Parador route. I left at 12 15 and planned to be at the telefrique station for 5 ready to climb to summit for sunset. En route up I met some people who had taken a morning cable car and just walked to the summit with no hassle from the guards. I arrived at the telefrique station just before 1600 (the last hour I was quite slow due to altitude). The guards were rounding people up for the last cable cars at 5 so I was a bit conspicuous and did not think it would be easy to sneak to the top.. Being on my own and a bit of a wimp I decided not to carry on doing the last 200mtres as to wait until sunset would have meant coming down in the dark and the trail was a little trickier than I had thought. (very straight forward in daylight).
I walked and ran back down doing the last hour in the dark. The sunset was spectacular, it would be amazing to be at the top for it and I will go back the next time I am there now I know what to expect. It took 2 and a half hours to come down. I am not fast but pretty steady.
Whether you do the summit or not it is a great walk. It does not cost anything to get a permit but you have to apply in advance to the Teide National Park.
Hope this is helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...