UKC

Walking near Tywyn. Any route suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scarab9 28 Nov 2016
I've gone and committed to meeting someone for a jaunt up a hill or two on Saturday in Wales without realising how far south they live. Tywyn. I have NO idea what is worth walking up that far south as my few trips to Wales have tended to be more up towards Llanberis.

Not sure how far she'll be up for going but she's reasonably fit (shush) so maybe up to 10miles, 12 at a push if there's a good pub at the end.

If there's a suggestion of a hostel nearby too that would be amazing.

Extra bonus points for a suggestion for a run (10-15miles) in the same area for me the afternoon before if you want to be the class swot :-p
 Phil1919 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Cader Idris?

Accomodation.....Air BnB?

Run......On the road........Dysynni valley, circuit of.

On the hill.......up towards Cader and back, using map to follow footpaths.

toad 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Scarab9:
Cader Idris is the obvious one, you've several routes from Dolgellau or tal y Lyn. Wee bit further and there are Rhinog options. These are wilder and rougher than the usual tourist bits round llanberis
OP Scarab9 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

spotted the words Cader Idris on the map and it started to come together quickly. Think I might be doing that one. Thanks
OP Scarab9 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

oh ffs! It's the one hill in the area she's actually been up before.
I'd found a hostel nearby with a pub opposite and everything....

any second suggestions folks?
 Mike Peacock 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

What about the Tarrens? You can do a good ridge loop from Pennal. Which hostel are you staying at?
 SenzuBean 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Aran Benllyn ridge from Llanuwchllyn. I haven't done started from that end, but have come to Aran Benllyn from the other side (which is much less recommendable). Lovely ridge with good views, mostly easy nav, mostly dry, just go as far up as you like and then turn around (Aran Fawddwy is a good "carrot" as it's the tallest mountain in that area).
OP Scarab9 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Mike Peacock:

nothing booked yet, just started plotting when I posted this. But Tarrens look good.
OP Scarab9 28 Nov 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> Aran Benllyn ridge from Llanuwchllyn. I haven't done started from that end, but have come to Aran Benllyn from the other side (which is much less recommendable). Lovely ridge with good views, mostly easy nav, mostly dry, just go as far up as you like and then turn around (Aran Fawddwy is a good "carrot" as it's the tallest mountain in that area).

ooh that looks a good option too.....

thanks guys. Gives me something to look at tomorrow when I'm meant to be working
 Deri Jones 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Scarab9: The Tarren loop from Abergynolwyn is good, going up from Dolgoch through the waterfalls is nice. If you like your climbing, that might be one for a run as well - over a 1000m of ascent in about 16Km or so as you start off from something like 40m! If the train is running, you can even do it with a steam powered start/finish from Tywyn.
South end of the Rhinogs - did a loop around the S and SW ridge of Y Garn, which is nice and quiet and especially good for admirers of stone walling Good views of the rest of the Rhinogs and all the Snowdon hills from a different perspective. Heaps of other stuff there as well.
Traverse of the Dyfi valley hills from the top of the pass on the Corris-Cross Foxes road heading east to Maesglasau and coming down the side of the valley with the big waterfall
Arans from Cwm Cywarch or the traverse if you have two cars.
OP Scarab9 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Deri Jones:

thanks, some good thoughts there. Just been nattering witht he now two people I'm meeting and got VERY distracted so going to get some work done but will have a better look later.

much appreciated!
 Mike Peacock 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Posted in something of a rush last night. To expand: from Pennal head to Cwrt, then along the minor road going west. Take the byway then follow the ridge to Trum Gelli and on to Tarren Hendre. Descend via Mynydd Cefn-caer.

Deri's suggestion of Dyfi Hills is a good one. I suppose if you want something grand and imposing then it would be hard to beat Cwm Cywarch (depending where you end up basing yourself). Up onto Glasgwm, then Aran Fawdddwy (optional detour to Gwaun y Llywni on the way). Out and back to Aran Benllyn if you fancy, then down over Drysgol and on to Pen yr Allt Uchaf, with a direct descent back to the start.
In reply to Scarab9:
You can do an end to end traverse of the Tarrens from Tywyn to Abergynolwen & get the wee train back if it is running.
Post edited at 16:03
Moley 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

As has been mentioned, Cwm Cywarch is lovely. My old running training route from many years back and I never became tired of it, several routes. A small car park (donations), portaloo and stream to wash in are handy.
 Andy Hardy 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

> [...]

> Extra bonus points for a suggestion for a run (10-15miles) in the same area for me the afternoon before if you want to be the class swot :-p

Try racing the train?
OP Scarab9 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Ran about ten miles around the eastern tarrens today from Corris. Wasn't particularly thrilled with the area (though was a good run) so off to do Cater Idris by the pony track tomorrow (which I'm really looking forward to!).

But main thing...Slaters Arms in Corris is superb! Exceptional ale, guy clearly knows his stuff, fire, alright food (good pub/post hill food). Oh and DOGGOS! Lots of DOGGOS.
But yeah if anyone wanders down this way the slaters is great.
 Mike Peacock 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Agreed. It is a great little pub.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...