UKC

Opinions on Scarpa Phantom Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JackM92 29 Nov 2016
Thinking of switching to a pair of Scarpa Phantom Guides from my Nepal Extremes, how have others found that boot?
 Andy Nisbet 29 Nov 2016
In reply to JackM92:

I prefer them. Lighter but feel just as stable climbing. They take a bit of getting used to, due to the lack of ankle support.
 peebles boy 30 Nov 2016
In reply to JackM92:

As above. I like them, they're really light and fit well (I've got narrow heels and wide front of foot, usually have to sacrifice one or other but very little issues over last three winters). Do notice the lack of ankle support compared to big old traditional winter boots tho...
Also took me a while to figure out the lacing system....
Gaitor zip can be a bit fiddly, esp with big gloves (not sure if newer models have better zips and zip pulls?)
 Dark-Cloud 30 Nov 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

how does everybody find sizing on them, street shoe size comparable or worth going up a half size ?

I tried a 43 which is my normal size but felt maybe just a touch short with a medium weight sock on but shop didn't half the half sizes in stock to try
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I asked the same question a few months ago.

My everyday shoes are size 8 (42), 43 were too tight, bought 44 & tweeked the fit with a Superfeet volume reducer (£7 or so). Have been wearing a thick Thorlo Mountaineer sock over a medium trekking sock, seems just fine, very happy with the fit.

Interestingly, they come higher up my shin than previous boots (Salomon SM Experts), as a result lace them up to second last hooks for walking in!

Stuart
 blackcat 30 Nov 2016
In reply to JackM92: My normal size fits this boot, i do like them but i do experience heel lift just a little ,but not so much as to spoil my enjoyment.
 Steve Perry 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Mine must fit well, I can lace them up then walk in and climb without no adjustment to laces or tightness.
 Mike Hewitt 30 Nov 2016
In reply to JackM92:
Love them, no need for a separate pair of gaithers and very comfortable and warm. I have a wide front foot and they fit nice and snug all around.

I tend to walk-in with the laces only done-up half-way (i.e. I don't lace the hooks) and with the zips only half done-up. Otherwise the gaiter zips make my walking action a bit clumsy.
Post edited at 13:10
 Gazlynn 30 Nov 2016
In reply to JackM92:

Normal shoe size fits me perfect.

Having come from the cumbre then the jorasses these boots win hands down, comfy, warm and great on the walk in and climb (punter grades)

I love mines

cheers

Gaz
 Nathan Adam 30 Nov 2016
In reply to JackM92:

Found similar to Andy when I first got mine, mainly when walking down hill but after a few trips out they felt just fine.

They fit a variety of crampons well too, and a wee bit warmer than Nepal's. Also the added advantage of the laces never freezing due to being hidden under the gaiter, although this means if you're a person like me who likes to re-lace boots before putting crampons on then it's a bit of added faff to unzip the whole thing.

Mines started leaking/seeping after a season of use but Mountain Boot are good with returns although Scarpa don't make the Guide anymore (replaced with the Tech) which I've now got and absolutely can't fault other than having a thinner and less hard wearing sole unit.

If you can get the Phantom Guide for a cheapish price then you won't go wrong.
 Mr. Lee 30 Nov 2016
In reply to JackM92:

Have you considered the LS Batura IIs if switching from Nepals? They use the same last.
 Toby_W 30 Nov 2016
In reply to JackM92: I love mine, best boots I've had and so comfy and just the right warmth. Less ankle support than plastics but a small price to pay. I'm normally a 47 but had to go for a 48. Who needs snow shoes.

Cheers

Toby

chris687 01 Dec 2016
In reply to JackM92:

I really don't like mine. They are stable etc but I have found that the tread on them is absolutely useless on wet grass, which I know sounds like a minor thing, but actually irritates me much more than you'd expect. The tread again is so deep cut that I find the boots ball up in snow much more easily than many others I have used. In addition to this they are not waterproof which kind of negates the point of the built in gaiter (which I do like)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...