UKC

Modern Kids Music

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 30 Nov 2016
I'm trying to put together a playlist for my Grandson, who is 2 and half years old, so was wondering what modern kid's songs are out there.
(He lives on the other side of the world, and is visiting us soon. Excited!)

When I was a kid, I remember, "My Boomerang Won't Come Back', 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down', ''I'm a Gnu' etc.

When my Kids were little, they loved, 'Nellie The Elephant', 'The Only Way is Up', 'The Runaway Train'.

So thirty years on I'm out of touch with kids' tastes.

Any recommendations for what todays 2-3 year olds love?
abseil 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Wheels on the bus, Five little monkeys jumping on the bed. If you open them, lots of other currently popular songs will appear too. Good luck!
 Greasy Prusiks 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt:

I understand 'wrap' music is very popular with today's youth. Perhaps try some 'M and M' or 'Two Pack'?
 deacondeacon 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt:
Have a look at a band called 'they might be Giants' kids love them (my daughter is two) and they have the added advantage of not being too painful for adults to listen to.

I'd defo recommend their album called 'no'.
Post edited at 12:05
 Durbs 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Caspar Babypants is good fun - it's the lead singer of President's of the USA (Lump, Peaches etc) doing either kids songs, or kiddy versions of adult songs.
 Phil4000 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt:

My boy (18 months) loves the wiggles (series on Netflix, YouTube has loads and cheap CDs available). They are from Australia & vv popular over there.
 Andy Johnson 30 Nov 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:
> Have a look at a band called 'they might be Giants'

My kids liked Particle Man at that age. youtube.com/watch?v=sNT8SMlqLJA&
Post edited at 13:27
 aln 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt:

vimeo.com/55039362 Schnappi das Kleine Krokodil This snappy wee number is in German but that didn't stop my kids enjoying it.
 Pbob 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Check out and album called 'colours are brighter'
 Jon Stewart 30 Nov 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

> Have a look at a band called 'they might be Giants' kids love them (my daughter is two) and they have the added advantage of not being too painful for adults to listen to.

> I'd defo recommend their album called 'no'.

I used to love TMBGs when I was about 10 or 12 when they made quite strange pop music with great, sometimes dark lyrics. This was a favourite:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-nuHCTA5E&

My brother told me they'd done children's music now, which frightened me a bit...

felt 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Brian "Grampy Rabbit" Blessed is good value hamming (ahem) it up in Peppa Pig. Here he sings Do the Dinosaur Stomp at the end of Grampy Rabbit's Dinosaur Park.
youtube.com/watch?v=DfMYw33jph0&
In reply to Fredt:
Just a thought - the music that was playing in my house when I was that age was totally rejected by myself at the time. However now I hear it and think that it is actually rather good.
Post edited at 19:43
 Big Ger 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt:
> When I was a kid, I remember, "My Boomerang Won't Come Back', 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down', ''I'm a Gnu' etc.

> When my Kids were little, they loved, 'Nellie The Elephant', 'The Only Way is Up', 'The Runaway Train'.

Those songs never go out of fashion for that age group.

Though seeing as "tie me kangaroo" was done by Rolf....
Post edited at 20:52
 Bulls Crack 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Try the same older tunes - odds are they will still like them. My youngest loved/loves things like that. I always look for songs with proper musical accompaniment and not the anodyne electronic keyboard sounds that you get so often on kids collections.
OP Fredt 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Those songs never go out of fashion for that age group.

> Though seeing as "tie me kangaroo" was done by Rolf....

That's a whole new thread.
It was a very good and popular song, (as was Jake the Peg) I don't see how it can be made a bad song by events since?
 Big Ger 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Me neither, but some may differ..
 roperat 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Bare Naked Ladies made a kid's record called 'Snacktime' which is great. It's interesting enough for adults to sit through repeatedly.

flopsicle 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Maybe try some more grown up stuff too? My daughter fell in love with reggae at about that age. She heard it coming from a house on our street a d started to dance, she loved it and still does. At 6 she got a thing for Nina Simone, at 8 she's asked for a Queen CD for Christmas.

I have no idea why different music tickles different folk but I think diversions from mainstream are worthwhile from the get go.
In reply to Fredt:

You can't go wrong with There Once Was A Windmill In Old Amsterdam...

T.
I saw a mouse...
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
So try a mix of Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Pink Floyd & Coldplay - they will love it in 40 years time.
In reply to Fredt:

if you're looking at stuff on youtube, then the dinosaur 'storybots' are a favourite with mine- especially 'apatosaurus'...

youtube.com/watch?v=do5vkwjO0pI&

i particularly like 'triceratops'

youtube.com/watch?v=uqYfyza4e-c&

there are others, and planets (they're not quite as good)

i also really like this one, again dinosaur themed:

youtube.com/watch?v=W0FOZ0-VpcU&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...