UKC

Duplicate photos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 30 Nov 2016
What software do you use to try and hunt out duplicate photos on your computer?

Cheers
 Fraser 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't duplicate photos on my computer so don't need software to search for them. Why do you have duplicates? (other than for backing up purposes)
OP The Lemming 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Thank you for your helpful and constructive reply.
cap'nChino 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

try sorting by size?
 HeMa 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

There's a plug-in for LR that will weed out possible duplicates (mainly reading EXIF-data).

And provided you were smart enough to pre-plan your catalogs, you should not have too many duplicates to start with (I wasn't, so I have a bucket load).
 Connorh 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

If your Duplicate photos are spread across many Folders -
Search the entire computer for all images of a particular format, I.e. Jpeg ect
Change the view settings so you can see a thumbnail of the pictures
Manually identify which photos are duplicates, and then delete.

If your Duplicate photos are contained within One folder-
Sort by date/time taken then Identify which images were taken at exactly the same time, confirm they are duplicates and then delete.

Or get some fancy image recognition software.
 Fraser 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Thank you for your helpful and constructive reply.

You're welcome. So why do you have duplicate photos, or is it a secret?
 Duncan Bourne 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Fraser:

I have duplicate photos. It is a well known fact that photos duplicate spontaniously on computers.
sometimes I have accidently taken more than one shot of a subject. Sometimes uploading them from a device has created additional copies. sometimes apps have created copies in folders I don't know about.
Sometimes it is good to have copies (in the cloud or elsewhere) but you don't want loads of copies.
I'll bet you have duplicates you didn't even know existed?
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> I have duplicate photos. It is a well known fact that photos duplicate spontaniously on computers.

I'm using a free bit of software to check what has built up since I last checked a couple of years ago. Its amazing what has multiplied and not just photos. I've got quite a few duplicates of MP3s and other types of documents.

It all creeps up on you. I just wish that I was as fastidious as a some on this site, at keeping total control of their data.
 ChrisJD 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

There are duplicate images and there are duplicate file names.

The latter can happen if you 'go-round-the-clock on a camera' (e.g. after 10,000 on Canon, well used to be the case).

I automatically prefix all image on import with a YYMM (in LR) to prevent the latter and help with file ID and sorting.
In reply to ChrisJD:

> I automatically prefix all image on import with a YYMM (in LR) to prevent the latter and help with file ID and sorting.

Useful little tip.

Don't worry, the software I use does not compare file names but rather the file/image itself. The exact same images can have different names or every single image can have the exact same name yet it will spot the duplicates.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...