UKC

Bike rack/hanger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 01 Dec 2016
Im trying to optimise the storage space in the shed for the bikes and one idea is to rack the bikes so that the rear wheel is on the floor and the front wheel held up. Kind of like this;
https://momentummag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Velo-Hinge-1-bikeFolded....

However I do wonder if this will put too much stress on the front wheel. Anyone else done similar or have any bright ideas?
 Chris the Tall 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Been doing that for the last 3 years with all my bikes and not had any problems. I suppose the fact that all bike get used regularly helps.

In order to get three together on one wall, I placed the hangers at different heights so that the handlebars wouldn't interfere with each other. Another option was a rail with hangers on it, so you could push the bikes closer together - probably works better if you have a variety of sizes
 LastBoyScout 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Should be fine, unless you've got carbon rims. Several mates of mine rack their bikes hanging the front wheel on hooks on the ceiling.

That method works well if you need easy access to all your bikes, but the problem is that you don't realise how far a saddle sticks out into the room, until you try it, so not always the most efficient solution, depending on the layout of your shed.

For that reason, I have our bikes racked against the wall both on the floor and on one of these type of racks on the wall above: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/per... - the ones that get used most are at the front.
 nniff 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:
I've got five in a row - works fine - you can spend what you want on hooks, but I've found the Decathlon ones to be both solid and cheap at about £4 each.

The trick is to get the off-set right (i.e. the bikes alternate between high and low). Bikes with mudguards should be high. Take account of up and over garage doors - the swept path of the door as it comes up intrudes quite a lot and makes locations near to the door unsuitable, and most are lower than you think when you hoik a bike up on end.

It's a bit of a balancing act getting the spacing between bikes right so that you can get one out without them getting too tangled. I have about a third of a bar overlap on mine.

No damage to wheels - 7-8 kg of bike hanging from a wheel that has your weight on it as a matter of course is nothing - bearing in mind that you hanging it from the strong points where the spokes apply their load. Hooks have rubber coatings too. Only wheel I'd be wary of are some of the esoteric wheels that have aero 'covers' on a standard-ish rim. Disc wheels obviously unsuitable without ill-advised modification.....

PS - the low bikes have their back wheel on the floor - high one dangle. Heavier bikes obviously better if they're on the floor from a handling perspective, but if they have a muguard, that's going to get in the way. It's a darn sight easier getting the locations right with an assistant.
Post edited at 12:10
 daWalt 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:

> However I do wonder if this will put too much stress on the front wheel.

not a lot compared to the force of your mass (however much that might be) hitting a pothole at >20 mph.....
OP the sheep 01 Dec 2016
In reply to nniff:

> No damage to wheels - 7-8 kg of bike hanging from a wheel that has your weight on it as a matter of course is nothing - bearing in mind that you hanging it from the strong points where the spokes apply their load.

Good point, the 16 stone of rider is far more likely to damage them
 ChrisJD 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:

It will be fine. Our hooks have a rubber cover - just need to keep on this as it can slide off, putting metal against the rim.
 Chris the Tall 01 Dec 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:

Mine came with plastic covers which wore through quite quickly. Fortunately I have a number of old inner tubes to do the job!
 Run_Ross_Run 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:

I use these http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Delta-Leonardo-Wall-Mount-Bike-Rack_37436.htm?sku=9...

Have 3 in the garage. Just top and tail the bikes to save space. No probs with them at all.
 LastBoyScout 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Just remembered - a mate of mine recommended this company - http://www.bikerackcompany.com/product-category/bike-storage-racks/

Pricey, but quite neat as you can swing the bikes from side to side to improve access to any given bike.
 Appleby 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Used to have one of these in my old flat, worked pretty well and since the back wheel takes the weight on the ground there's not too much force on the wheel, unlike some of the hook designs where the rear wheel is off the ground.

http://www.getclug.com/
 BazVee 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:

I've hung my bikes from their front wheels for several years now. Never had a problem as regards damaging the rims or anything else, at least not that I am aware of.

There is one issue some hydraulic brakes don't like being held like this i.e. sort of upside down ... i think the recommended advice is not too pull the levers until the bikes are back level on the floor
 NorthernGrit 01 Dec 2016
In reply to the sheep:

I use a rail system but find hanging from straps saves space/ makes the individual bikes easier to access as you can 'nest' them and slide them around.

Search 'velogrip'. Then depending on your reaction to the price search 'diy velogrip'. Mine is a massively bodged version based on stuff I had lying around.

Not had any problems with front wheel or fork damage.
In reply to the sheep:

I've got 4 of these on the wall of my garage http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/mot... they're the cheapest you can get yet work perfectly well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...