UKC

Brampton to live

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
matron 01 Dec 2016
Dear lovely humans

My earlier post is now closed "moving to kendal" and everyone as very helpful. Someone mentioned Brampton village. This may be a goer as its close to carlisle for work and uni.

Kendal is still on the books but Brampton is looking good, price wise its perfect.

All opinions welcome.
Many thanks
Matron
 coinneach 01 Dec 2016
In reply to matron:

I live around 10 miles from Brampton. I know loads of people who live there, including my mother in law.

Nice enough wee town with good coffee shops ( daughter works in one when home from Uni )

Doesn't have great pubs though but plenty good ones in countryside around.

15-20 mins from Carlisle. Has a cracking hardware shop.

I'm in it most days so if you have specific questions just ask.
matron 02 Dec 2016
In reply to coinneach:

Thanks for this. I will be sure to pm you.
In the meantime Burnrigg, Heads Nook, Brampton
Low Cross Street, Brampton
Greencroft, Brampton,
Above are some of the places we have found property which is affordable.
What are these areas like?
I need to be near a train station for carlisle, in case I do not have the car, for work.
Once again thanks for responding it been so helpful.
 aln 02 Dec 2016
In reply to matron:

When I read the thread title I thought Brampton had been reprieved.
 coinneach 02 Dec 2016
In reply to matron:

There is no train station in Brampton ( Brampton Junction is about 3 miles out of town ). Buses, however, run every 30 minutes and take around 20 mins.

Head's Nook is nice. Low cross st. Is in the town and fairly noisy. Not sure of the other two.
In reply to matron:

I know some people who moved to Brampton who regret it massively. If you are connected through friends or family then it will work for you but if you are from the South and buy what is considered to be an expensive house you will find it difficult to integrate. An 'educated' accent will be unhelpful and your children may be bullied at school.
Trying to make friends will be a non starter......they don't seem to like incomers.
Nice looking place though.
matron 03 Dec 2016
In reply to I like climbing:

Oh dear. That does not sound good. And I have always been told up north they are friendly.
Im Irish so I make people talk to me anyway!

Are your friends going to move now?
matron 03 Dec 2016
In reply to coinneach:

That's interesting on rightmove it shows a train station, so thanks for clarifying that.
Would you agree with the other member that they dislike incomers?
I think all villages dislike new people coming in, its just how it is.
matron 03 Dec 2016

no expensive house, budget 150000. I might survive!!
In reply to matron:

> Oh dear. That does not sound good. And I have always been told up north they are friendly.

> Im Irish so I make people talk to me anyway!

> Are your friends going to move now?

My theory is that towns that are used to visitors from a lot of different places are easier to settle in. I don't think Brampton gets that traffic. I've been there once and what I saw looked very nice. I'm sure being Irish will help and I wish you luck. You won't encounter the inbuilt predjudice that my friends have and they are trying to move.........
 Jim 1003 03 Dec 2016
In reply to matron:
I think Brampton is a small, fairly isolated village that does not have a lot going for it. I think the post about unwelcoming to outsiders is probably right. Carlisle or Penrith are probably better because they are bigger and there are lots of people coming into the town. Brampton has cheap houses for a reason....I think the poster above is right. I live in the central Lakes but I'm going to move to Penrith because it's on the M6.
Post edited at 11:03
 WildCamper 03 Dec 2016
In reply to matron:

By and large people are friendly in the north (especially compared to the south) but isolated communities can be very funny places ime (lived in an isolated Cumbrian community pretty much my whole life)
My advice would be to make an effort with the community, things like baking cakes for the local fete for example
matron 03 Dec 2016

I hope your friends find a happier place and I am sorry to hear that the community have not been so kind. Maybe I should ask all my ethnic minority friends to invade the place and move in.
Hmmm having second thoughts now.
matron 03 Dec 2016
In reply to WildCamper:

lol. I am the worst cake maker but I can give good health advice and play the guitar!!
 Ridge 03 Dec 2016

> My theory is that towns that are used to visitors from a lot of different places are easier to settle in. I don't think Brampton gets that traffic. I've been there once and what I saw looked very nice. I'm sure being Irish will help and I wish you luck. You won't encounter the inbuilt predjudice that my friends have and they are trying to move.........

It's not easy to judge. I was worried when we moved from Yorkshire into a very small west Cumbrian village. As luck would have it everyone has been absolutely brilliant. However we looked at some places and I certainly felt like the locals were staring, and not in a friendly way.
 Timmd 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Ridge:
A friend has moved to somewhere near to Skipton, and has found that she and her husband don't really fit in, but in a slightly different way perhaps, with a lot of the 'locals' being people who've made a bit of money and moved over from Keighley to buy their place in the countryside, some of whom look down a bit on people living in the more budget homes like she does. She's mentioned how a person with long standing in the area can ring around different people to make life difficult for individuals too. An incomer white collar worker took on one of this lady's dogs for sale, and then realised he couldn't cope with it a couple of days later and took it back, and she rang around to sway people into not having anything to do with him anymore. She may have been only partially successful, but it's not the kind of thing one can guess at before moving somewhere.

As you say, it can be hard to judge a place before actually living there...
Post edited at 17:54
In reply to Ridge:

I totally agree - it's hard to judge. Glad it's worked out for you.
 coinneach 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

total nonsense . . . . .

have you ever actually been there?
 coinneach 03 Dec 2016
In reply to matron:

I'm from Glasgow, my wife is from London, my MIL is from Dublin, her neighbour and best "local" pal is from Liverpool.

The posters on about incomers being disliked are talking nonsense . . . .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...