UKC

Strava/Garmin Recording

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Morning all,

I did a 5km run yesterday which was the quickest Ive done for a while since my injuries and operation about 2 years ago.

My recorded splits were 7.06, 7.44, 7.22 and then the last part 1.04 to complete my 5km, total 22.76mins.

I was hoping that this run would show my first sub 23min run on Strava/Garmin but the actual reading shown for moving time is 23.16 whilst not a million miles away is a little frustrating because it is incorrect.

Does anyone know why it would a different figure like this?

Thanks

Richard
 hokkyokusei 02 Dec 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Your splits are minutes and seconds, not decimal minutes. They add up to 22 minutes and 76 seconds, which is the same as 23 minutes and 16 seconds. Or have I missed something?
 Chris the Tall 02 Dec 2016

Could be something to do with measurement of moving time as opposed to elapsed time - Strava takes raw data from the garmin, but interprets it slightly different to Garmin connect
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Could be something to do with measurement of moving time as opposed to elapsed time - Strava takes raw data from the garmin, but interprets it slightly different to Garmin connect

Ah. Ive just checked in Garmin Connect and it shows moving time as sub 23 but elapsed time st 23.16. I dont get this difference. Surely the time starts and end when I press start.
 Rampikino 02 Dec 2016

In theory it should be just one time, but the Garmin device is almost to clever for its own good! As a result you get bits of micro data where it believes you are not moving for some strange reason, and it gives a second time. Always go on the elapsed time.

It can be quite a useful comparison for other events - like Fell Running. It can help the runner to see how efficient they were being with their time (i.e. keeping moving even when the terrain is tough) but at other times it is just an annoyance.
 Castleman 02 Dec 2016

I think the problem is measuring a 5km run in mile splits!

galpinos 02 Dec 2016
> Morning all,

> I did a 5km run yesterday which was the quickest Ive done for a while since my injuries and operation about 2 years ago.

> My recorded splits were 7.06, 7.44, 7.22 and then the last part 1.04 to complete my 5km, total 22.76mins

the splits are in minutes and seconds I'm assuming, 7mins 6 secs, 7 mins 44 secs etc, which gives a total of 23mins 16 seconds.

> I was hoping that this run would show my first sub 23min run on Strava/Garmin but the actual reading shown for moving time is 23.16 whilst not a million miles away is a little frustrating because it is incorrect.

I think it is correct. What is the actual time on your watch? Strava interprets data differently than Garmin Connect as well though you can get discrepancies between the two but the final time is the time on you watch surely?
Post edited at 09:32
 yorkshireman 02 Dec 2016

The elapsed time should be key. Strava asumes you're not moving when you slow down to a certain pace (I think it's something like 20min/km so basically walking pace). If you want to see your pace on Strava without this then set the event as a race and it will base your pace and splits on the elapsed time, not moving time.
In reply to yorkshireman:

Useful tip.

I also think that heavy tree cover can block the GPS signal so the device will think you have stopped when you havent

And to the OP, get yourself along to a parkrun tomorrow morning and you'll probably find you are well under 23 - I'm always much faster in a group

> Useful tip.

> I also think that heavy tree cover can block the GPS signal so the device will think you have stopped when you havent

Interesting. I do go under one motorway bridge. Might this make a difference?

> And to the OP, get yourself along to a parkrun tomorrow morning and you'll probably find you are well under 23 - I'm always much faster in a group

Thats my aim. I have a tough local parkrun. Flat as a pancake but three reps of climbing a short steep section which takes all the momentum away.

In reply to yorkshireman:
> The elapsed time should be key. Strava asumes you're not moving when you slow down to a certain pace (I think it's something like 20min/km so basically walking pace). If you want to see your pace on Strava without this then set the event as a race and it will base your pace and splits on the elapsed time, not moving time.

Ill try this. Thanks
Post edited at 10:53

> Interesting. I do go under one motorway bridge. Might this make a difference?

Yep, definitely
 DancingOnRock 02 Dec 2016
Turn off auto pause. That's why moving time is less than your start/stop time.

Also Elapsed time is the time of your activity and may not be the time between start and stop but the time between start and done. So if you have pressed stop, the internal timer keeps running until you click done and then save the activity. Effectively, stop is actually pause and done is stop or end.

I have a half marathon with a 57 second extra elapsed time to chip and moving time. This is the 57 seconds I was trying to get my breath back and taking a drink.

I'm not sure which of the 3 times Strava uses but think it works on the raw data from the FIT file and makes its own assumptions.

If you can upload the GPX files from Strava and Garmin you can open them in notepad and see the raw data which would give you more information.

Post edited at 12:08
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Thanks for the info although Ive just checked my watch - FR630 - and auto pause is already off.
 DancingOnRock 02 Dec 2016

But your moving time is longer than your elapsed time so it's definitely a bit odd.

I'd look at what Garmin Connect has. I think Strava is doing something odd with your data.
 Brass Nipples 02 Dec 2016
Your split's add up to 23.16, run faster next time.
Post edited at 22:10
 DancingOnRock 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Your split's add up to 23.16, run faster next time.

Brilliant. I completely missed that. Doh!

Someone even posted above that they're not decimals.
 Castleman 03 Dec 2016

> Yep, definitely

I disagree - if it loses connection it extrapolates between points, so short straight sections of tunnel/bridge/tree coverage don't make a difference, if you continue running through them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...