UKC

Frozen Devon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So I was driving to work this morning with the temperature at -2 for the third day in a row and was thinking the turf looks nicely frozen on the cut through walls at the A30 / M5 junction..
 james mann 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

I have in 2010 I think seen that cutting with fully formed ice falls. Not an ideal location for ice climbing though. Dave Hillebrandt is Devon's resident esoteric ice expert with first ascents even on the culm. Pete Saunders has pictures of Canonteign falls being climbed in the 80s. I'm sure that there are other examples of Devon ice too.

James
 d_b 02 Dec 2016

Fancy popping over the border for the FWA of Wreckers Slab?
 Kemics 02 Dec 2016

Fairly sure there's a route that forms up in Haytor quarry or somewhere near there. I remember it being too thin for screws but I think people top roped it
In reply to davidbeynon:
If that route gets a freeze thaw it might actually just fall down..
Post edited at 15:16
 Airtime! 02 Dec 2016

There have been a few winter routes done on the moor although conditions are fickle, as in they are
all unrepeatable! That cutting has been played on before, the local law enforcement were not amused.
Dave Hillebrandt is responsible for 3 of the following:

Canonteign falls (1987)
White Lady - Lydford Gorge (1986)
Moonstone - Meldon Quarry (1996)
The crest of Sharp Tor has been 'mountaineered'
Holwell has formed some thin ice on a couple of occasions and one route has been soloed at VI, 5. (2010) This is where
Kemics is thinking. An attempt at another line there lead to a 50ft deck out so it might be best avoided.
Full details of winter tomfoolery are apparently in the new Dartmoor guide...

Sean Kelly 02 Dec 2016

Calm down! Calm down! It's warming up nicely now...http://www.lyneside.demon.co.uk/Haytor/automatic/Current_Vantage_Pro.htm
 climbEdclimb 02 Dec 2016

Trying to find an alternative to the long trips to Scotland and the Lakes already... it’s only just turned December!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...