UKC

Alternatives to skiing in Morzine?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 03 Dec 2016
I have been coerced into a family skiing holiday in Morzine over the Xmas week. I am a poor skier, and don't enjoy it, whereas my grown up family do.
I plan to take some winter gear and hopefully sneak off into the hills and maybe go snowshoeing, or maybe even a small solo F or something like that, but I am unfamiliar with the area.

Obviously I am going to do some research, but any of you guys got any suggestions that may start me off?

I have plenty of experience, am a WML, so no need to tell me about avalanche risk etc, I'm very careful.....

Cheers in advance
In reply to JohnnyW:

Take skiing lessons... You might actually enjoy it...
 tim000 03 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

try snowboarding
OP JohnnyW 03 Dec 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Believe me, I have. Three times. I don't.
OP JohnnyW 03 Dec 2016
In reply to tim000:

See the previous reply. Equally bad, equally unpleasant.....
 toad 03 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

at the risk of being cliche'd, talk to the tourist information people when you get there. They know the area, and you won't be the first person to ask!
aligibb 03 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

Christmas week is very early for stuff to be in condition, and ice to have formed... Snowshoe - theres some great areas that are pretty accessible, Vallee de la Manche and up to the Col de Cou or Col de la Golese. Or the Foron valley from Col de L'Encrenaz as starters. The morzine IGN map is on sale in the local supermarkets so is easy to pick up. Theres lots going on in town too esp for xmas week. you can also do winter tandem parapente flights which are really cool! Ali
OP JohnnyW 04 Dec 2016
In reply to aligibb:

Brilliant, thanks Ali, that's the kind of stuff I am after.............
 Trangia 04 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:
> Believe me, I have. Three times. I don't.

3 lessons or 3 seasons?

If the former the first few lessons can be hard and very demoralising as you keep falling over, then if you persevere suddenly it will click and you enter a whole new world of sheer fun.

If the latter it sounds as though you have had crap instructors....

In reply to your request do try snow shoeing. It'll get you up out of the village and you can enjoy being in the hills. It's hard work though!
Post edited at 09:06
 planetmarshall 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> If the former the first few lessons can be hard and very demoralising as you keep falling over, then if you persevere suddenly it will click and you enter a whole new world of sheer fun.

Ah, one of those 'unable to accept that some people just don't like skiing' people. They're like Jehovah's Witnesses...
 Trangia 04 Dec 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

You are probably right because I'm passionate about it (skiing, not JWs). However I was a poor starter, forced into skiing by my father. Initially I hated it, I kept falling over, I got cold and miserable, and...just hated it. Terrible co-ordination, terrible balance etc

Then after being dragged along for several seasons I joined a class with a Swiss instructor who spoke excellent English and really managed to get it across to me. From that season onward I never looked back and found a whole new joy in the sport.
 Mark Haward 04 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

If you have transport ( there are buses I think ) about 20 minutes away is Les Gets. The Mt Cheri (sp?) side has beautiful snow shoeing and walking areas with awesome views. You can walk up from valley or get lift part of the way. Slightly further on is Praz de Lys with awesome lake walks, possible ice routes and the resort further up the road also has some beautiful snow showing / walking areas that are often very quiet.
aligibb 04 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:
pas de problemne! I live here in morzine so get in touch again nearer the time for more specifics if you like.
Post edited at 16:55
 kevin stephens 04 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

re lessons - if your bad experience is fro group lessons, especially with a French ESF instructor, treat yourself to a 1:1 lesson with a good independent, ideally British instructor - but need to book sharpish being over Christmas
 Jim 1003 05 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:
What Ali Gibb said, plenty good walks nearby...probably worth taking crampons though, because the forestry paths get icy. Micro spikes might do but obviously you can make that decision when you go. Re the higher peaks, probably not a good idea without skis, snow shoes are not good on steeper slopes.
There's a bus up to the Col de Cou. The valley Manche can be prone to avalanche, especially the sunny side.
Post edited at 12:12
OP JohnnyW 05 Dec 2016
In reply to aligibb:

Will do, thanks a lot
OP JohnnyW 05 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> 3 lessons or 3 seasons?

Three separate blocks of lessons, spread over 3 occasions, over approximately 20 years. And snowboarding. I have tried, I really have. Oh, and Cross Country..........

> If the former the first few lessons can be hard and very demoralising as you keep falling over, then if you persevere suddenly it will click and you enter a whole new world of sheer fun.

I don't think so

> If the latter it sounds as though you have had crap instructors....

They can't have all been crap - I am just very inflexible after years of cycling and mountaineering (and poor stretching I suppose), and I just don't move that way it seems

> In reply to your request do try snow shoeing. It'll get you up out of the village and you can enjoy being in the hills. It's hard work though!

I have snow shows, I have done it many times. I love it.

OP JohnnyW 05 Dec 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Ah, one of those 'unable to accept that some people just don't like skiing' people. They're like Jehovah's Witnesses...

Indeed - I want alternatives in the locality....I have been through all the 'you're wrong, it's great, really' so many bl**dy times (and know I will at Xams too, dreading it!)
 peebles boy 21 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

Apparently the mountain bike trails in Les Gets are still open for business.....
OP JohnnyW 22 Dec 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

They're gonna need to be. After all my worrying, turns out there's bu**er all snow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...