UKC

getting out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dking02 04 Dec 2016
does anyone have any ideas of how to get out to the hills more often? i have maybe one or two mates who could come with me, but im only 14 so travel is a bit of an issue? cheapish weekend in the hills?
 Brass Nipples 04 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

Use bus, take a stove, sleeping bag and sheet of polythene. Find a wild spot and camp for free. Return on bus on the Sunday.
 Davidwi 04 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

Ideally don't try the above in winter. Could you not find a ramblers club that has junior membership?
 Dave the Rave 04 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:
D of E. Venture Scouts?
 Coel Hellier 04 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

If you say where you live you're likely to get better advice.
Lusk 04 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

I like your climbing wishlist!
 Billhook 04 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

Knowing roughly where you live or how far you are away from 'hills' may also help posters.

However, you could join a local hillwalking, mountaineering or rambling club. Perhaps the scouts or other sim,iliar organisations.
 spenser 04 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

I got into the outdoors while I was a cadet at school, the Cadet Centre for Adventurous Training provided really good instruction for very very little (and my travel was covered by Rail Warrants), you're young enough to get involved with the ACF/ ATC/ SCC and get the best out of it before you turn 19, some counties/ units will be better than others at getting outdoors and doing stuff (either the green stuff with weapons or AT).
Scouts are again good, Kent county has the Invictus Mountaineering Club which I believe accepts young people who are keen.
You may be able to find a local D of E group, given that you are posting on here you're probably interested in something a bit more out there than what the Bronze award would offer you but you could meet people who are keen to do more adventurous stuff.
People can probably come up with some suggestions of where to go and the best way of travelling by public transport, if you try the public transport option on google maps directions (make sure to change the travel time to when you intend to travel) you will get surprisingly good info on public transport options.
 carr0t 04 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

like the guys above have already stated, you really need to join a mountaineering club. They will do all sorts of mountain activity. people are generally happy to share transport, etc. provided your parents have ok'd that. What is even more important is every now and then they will hold courses for members which are very cheap. These will teach you the basic skills that you need to be learning.

have you looked at the duke of edinburgh award or something similar? the cadets may also be a good option as these sorts of groups will be of a similar age to you.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

> However, you could join a local hillwalking, mountaineering or rambling club.

Being 14 might be a problem, a lot of clubs have a minimum age (usually 16 or 18).
OP dking02 05 Dec 2016
In reply to Coel Hellier:

warrington
OP dking02 05 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

warrington
OP dking02 05 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

I already have searched for mountaineering clubs however i found out I needed to be 18 though, I do explorer scouts already however i havent yet been able tpo get a trip together, any other ideas?
 lpretro1 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Sadly this is very true - down to all the Child Protection regs these days. Members can bring their kids on some meets along but they have to look after them. It is almost impossible when staying in club huts with mixed/communal accommodation to let them come along as the regs require single sex/separate rooms for minors
In reply to dking02: tricky. You are not far from the Peak District. If you have a road bike it would be a couple of hours cycle, worth it for an overnighter.

spenser 10 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

You can get the train from Warrington Bank Quay out to Betws - Y - Coed or Blaenau Ffestiniog and back for about £12 per person (assuming everyone in the group is under 16).
You can get a cracking weekend out starting and finishing in Blaenau Ffestiniog, if you walk up the incline into the slate quarry there are some old disused quarry buildings (roofs caved in etc so you'd still need a tent but they provide a little bit of extra shelter from the wind etc), you can easily head up into the hills from there (there are quite a few shallow streams which are pretty well hidden by the long grass, I fell in most of them but the walking around that way is pretty decent). You can also catch a train over to the peak from Warrington, there's plenty of walking which can be accessed from the stations along Sheffield to Manchester railway line.
 olddirtydoggy 10 Dec 2016
In reply to dking02:

Drag out a couple of mates on small stuff locally then once they get a taste for it, take them out again using a train and give them a proper beasting! I used to do that in my teens and non of my old mates hike now....... 14 is a really hard age to get out but what about your folks? My grandmother was the early inspiration, taking me out every weekend. Only now I realise how lucky I was. Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...