UKC

Christmas Down The Ages

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pyreneenemec 08 Dec 2016
It's that time of year again and I've been listenning to my favourite Christmas carols : "Christmas Down The Ages" with Emma Kirkby and the choir of Westminster Abbey/ Abbey Consort & Ensemble / English Chamber Orchestra

youtube.com/watch?v=nAPAJ8JH2Q4&

It will be played almost continuously for the next couple of weeks then stored in a safe place until next year, rather like my memories of being a cathedral chorister.

What are your recommendations for Christmassy music, especially something a little different ?

LeeWood 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Try Katie Melua with the Gori women's choir 'In Winter' - a sort of pop-classical fusion; various tracks are available live on youtube and the whole album was clipped on last track.
 Andy Johnson 08 Dec 2016

Something a little different:

youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q&

LeeWood 08 Dec 2016
In reply to andyjohnson0:

Nice voice - shame about the hairstyle :o

Try the australian Bob Dylan .......... Paul kelly with his track How to Make Gravy

for which another commentator said ....

You don't have to be Australian to think this is the single best Christmas song written in the last half-century ...
 aln 09 Dec 2016

Phil Spector's Christmas record is one I pull out every year. Some cracking tunes, and the cringeworthy message at the end from Phil rounds it off nicely.
 AdrianC 10 Dec 2016
In reply to andyjohnson0:

Beat me to it!
cb294 11 Dec 2016

Bach, Christmas Oratory, preferrably in the 2010 anniversary recording by the Thomaner choir.

CB
OP Pyreneenemec 11 Dec 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Bach, Christmas Oratory, preferrably in the 2010 anniversary recording by the Thomaner choir.

> CB

Thanks, I'll see if I can find that.

I watched a documentary about the " Thomanerchor" last Christmas on the French / German cultural channel ARTE, reminded me of so many happy memories.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...