UKC

Russian state sponsored hack swung election for Trump

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

...is the claim by FBI sources

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38273933

Quoting an unnamed "senior US official", the Washington Post said "intelligence agencies" had "identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee and others, including Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman".
At one point in the campaign, Mr Trump publicly encouraged Russia to "find" Mrs Clinton's emails, although he later said he was being sarcastic.
Democrats claimed the hacks were a deliberate attempt to undermine Mrs Clinton's campaign.
White House spokesman Eric Schultz said President Obama wanted the investigation carried out on his watch "because he takes it very seriously".

on one level, not a great surprise

but- to have it being taken seriously by the FBI, and an investigation proposed into, effectively, Russian interference winning the election for Trump, is this not the biggest news story of the year?

also- they apparantly hacked Trump too, but haven't released any of the information yet. Should we be concerned that Putin may now be in possession of information about the next president of the US that he may really not want made public?

yet i found it when i was glancing at BBC mundo- i had to dig a bit to find it on the main BBC news site. with this, and the story about the Russia Today response to the doping report disappearing, is there something odd about the BBC's coverage of Russian issues at present?
Post edited at 21:39
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
Leading story on this evening's BBC News.
Post edited at 22:13
In reply to Hugh J:

ok, maybe my paranoia is running ahead of the facts...

still not on the bbc website front page tho

Could it be the FBI trying to find excuses for why they 'investigated' Clinton's email address thin two weeks of the election date, and then found no problem. Look at the polling around that announcement; Clinton's lead faltered and Trump gained.

If there was a conspiracy, the FBI have a lot of difficult questions to answer about the timing and publicity of their supposed investigation.

It's the CIA making these claims, not the FBI. Makes you wonder why they didn't say more at the time and what Comey was up to. Clinton was certainly saying this was going on.

There's something unsurpringly dodgy going on here, being the USA, but I fully expect Trump to get away with it though. He'll just get his team to spin deflecting stories, like today. A former CEO of Exxon becomes Secretary of State, someone who has links with Putin.

Like you, I'm wondering what Putin's got on Trump.

Worrying times.

Fake news. If they "know who it was" then that person would be getting named/eliminated,deported, extradited in short time. Yet...silence"unnamed sources"...sounds like propaganda BS to me!
 SenzuBean 11 Dec 2016

It's supremely ironic that the nation with perhaps the strongest record for interfering in the elections of other nations, instigating coups and hacking foreign powers - doesn't like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Here's a related essay which also shows probable cause for how the US has allowed itself to be hacked: https://www.schneier.com/essays/archives/2016/08/new_leaks_prove_it_t.html (tl;dr NSA was hoarding exploits and not telling vendors to fix them, which means everyone else who found those exploits would be able to use them with impunity. The fact that the National Security Agency did this is again too ironic)

If it wasn't for the fact innocent people will bear the brunt of the negative consequences, it would be hilarious.
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:
i'd assumed the 'individuals with connections to the Russian government' was not so subtle code for FSB agents.

and i don't think there would be much mileage in trying to extradite them...

edit: this article links them to the GRU, but the suspicion of state sponsorship remains...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/29/cozy-bear-fancy-bear-rus...
Post edited at 11:15
 wercat 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

who do you imagine to be deported and from where? "Fake news" is not really an appropriate comment
here. There have been a number of so-called cyber-attacks round the world in the last months and concern has been growing that the Russians are flexing the muscles of a growing capability.

I amagine they are also rather pleased about what has been going on in Britain/Europe lately - things are certainly going their way

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...