UKC

Super breathable, lightly insulated top for climb, run and ski?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello,

Any suggestions for a lightweight, super breathable, windproof(ish) hooded top.

The jacket will be used for running (ideally next to the skin). As well as for ski touring and both rock and winter climbing.

Ideally it will fold into its own chest pocket.

Something along the lines of the Rab VR alpine, but with better build quality.

I'm considering the following:
-Arc'teryx Atom SL
-Arc'teryx Psiphon FL
-Mountain Equipment Kenises

Any other suggestion gratefully received.

Cheers,

Tom
 Jayhigh 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Hi Tom

Have a look at the Arc'teryx Procline Hybrid Hoody. It's quite like the Rab VR Alpine.

For what it's worth, I love my VR alpine for everything from breezy rock climbs to winter walk-in base layer (it worked in Norway as the only layer down to well below -10c for the approach).

Having had the Rab for a few years now, I don't share your concerns about build quality - the VR does do everything you want and although the outer is fairly thin and mine has a few nicks and holes, as long as you stay away from thrutchy granite chimneys you should be fine.

James
 Mountain Llama 11 Dec 2016

Marton ether driclime hoody?
 George Fisher 11 Dec 2016

I've ordered a Patagonia Nano air light hoody. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

Looks good and you can't fault Patagonia's service.
 Jeff Ingman 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Hi Tom

I think that Mountain Lama means the Marmot DriClime Hoody, which I've used for the activities you describe for many years. A very light, next to the skin, just warm enough wind proof top. I still have to open the zip for steep winter walk-ins but that's because I run hot. Comfortable when damp and drys very quickly.

I've used mine for winter climbing, rock climbing, running, skiing and mountain biking. It's probably the best single piece if clothing that I own.

Enjoy your winter.........Jeff
 Mountain Llama 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

Hi Jeff

Thanks for stepping in there and sorting things out! I have one of their windshirts and it's ace.

Cheers Davey

Black Diamond Alpine Hoody.

Super light, packs in to pocket and barely noticeable on a harness. Helmet compatible.

I have two so if you fancy a light green/ aloe, women's large/ men's medium drop me a line; used a couple of days only in the Alps this summer. Selling online tonight…

There was a version without a full length zip, which would be better but no longer available it seems.

Atom SL is insulated, not your thing I think. I tried a Psiphon SL but seem to remember the hood was a different material, a bit weird.

#canyoueverhavetoomanyjackets
 neuromancer 11 Dec 2016

Strata flex or Paradox pullon?

I find a combination of base layer, thin fleece and wind proof works well for at least the running and climbing part (and probs the skiing part) plus has many added advantages; modular so way more flexible to suit different weathers and activities, cheaper and better for the environment! You can buy me a beer with the money I have just saved you
 Martin Bennett 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

> I think that Mountain Lama means the Marmot DriClime Hoody, which I've used for the activities you describe for many years. A very light, next to the skin, just warm enough wind proof top. I still have to open the zip for steep winter walk-ins but that's because I run hot. Comfortable when damp and drys very quickly.

> I've used mine for winter climbing, rock climbing, running, skiing and mountain biking. It's probably the best single piece if clothing that I own.

Why shouldn't he mean the Marmot Ether Driclime Hoodie? I had the original Marmot Driclime and thought it was very good until I saw the Marmot Ether Driclime and immediately sold the old and bought the new. The Ether version is lighter and less bulky and, as requested by TRip, bundles up into it's pocket. Couldn't be better in my view. I now have one with a hood and one without and rarely go anywhere without one or the other.

For reference TRip - it's very much the Rab VR Alpine Lite, but "liter" (sic). Also - my recommendation is based on climbing, scrambling, walking. I never run anywhere, except perhaps down from the crag when the pub beckons!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...