UKC

Wild Country quality

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Shields 13 Dec 2016
So this happened to a climber:

http://imgur.com/3LUTNSx

Reddit Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/comments/5i4y2q/so_this_happened/

"I bought this a few months ago and it's been used twice. Went to engage it on a climb and it broke like this. I've been talking with Wild Country and they are currently doing an assessment as to why it failed. Once I hear back I'll update you guys. Watch your Friends!"
 gethin_allen 13 Dec 2016
In reply to GunnyGuy:

Hmm, Not ideal but it doesn't look like it would have failed under normal loading conditions. A bit rubbish if that's the only gear you have for that placement and the route is a bit run out.
 Greasy Prusiks 13 Dec 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Agreed, as far as I can tell from the photos I don't think it's ability to hold a fall would be compromised. Still any fault in safety gear is naturally a serious matter.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the cause until Wild Country release there report. Could be a result of any number of causes at this stage.

Still seems prudent to go and prod my cams a bit though.
OP Tom Shields 13 Dec 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

It can't be placed as the lobes can't be retracted so it wouldn't be able to take a fall anyway.
 Timmd 13 Dec 2016
In reply to GunnyGuy:
> It can't be placed as the lobes can't be retracted so it wouldn't be able to take a fall anyway.

Unless it was stuffed/wiggled into a crack by pushing the cams and the axles in by hand?
Post edited at 23:33
 Mr. Lee 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Timmd:

But then you wouldn't be able to remove it, except with nut key.
 Timmd 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

No, you wouldn't be able to, and even then you might struggle.
 gethin_allen 15 Dec 2016
In reply to GunnyGuy:

My point was that if it had failed at a slightly different moment and you had managed to place it you wouldn't be left with a useless placement and a false sense of security leading to a potentially dangerous fall.
 TheFasting 15 Dec 2016
In reply to GunnyGuy:

So it's passive protection now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...