UKC

Penlee Lifeboat Disaster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 14 Dec 2016
Happened 35 years ago today.

Really good documentary on it here; youtube.com/watch?v=yeIX0VnUMKo&
 deacondeacon 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
A sad story. mouseholes Christmas lights are always turned off on the anniversary.
It really is amazing the service that the RNLI provide.
 Greasy Prusiks 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Staggeringly brave, almost unimaginably so. Within a day of the disaster a full crew had volunteered from the village. Truly heroic.

My family is from that part of the world and it can't be understated how deep it still sits in the local consciousness.

If you haven't already then have listen to The Solomon Brown by Seth Lakeman.

Biggest respect to the people who still do that job today.
 Wainers44 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
The BBC documentary is still out there on t'internet. The account from the Culdrose Seaking Pilot, and also the recording of the last exchanges between the Coastguard and the Solomon Browne and then the moment when the boat is lost is some of the most moving stuff I have ever heard.

That endless call from the Coastguard "Falmouth Coastguard...Penlee Lifeboat....
Post edited at 21:08
OP Big Ger 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

"The greatest act of courage that I have ever seen, and am ever likely to see, was the penultimate courage and dedication shown by the Penlee [crew] when it manoeuvred back alongside the casualty in over 60 ft breakers and rescued four people shortly after the Penlee had been bashed on top of the casualty's hatch covers. They were truly the bravest eight men I've ever seen, who were also totally dedicated to upholding the highest standards of the RNLI."

Lt Cdr Smith USN, the pilot of the rescue helicopter
 Chris H 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Astonishing seamanship to get anywhere near it. And the two skippers chatting like it wasn't any kind of big deal.
 Dave 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

> The BBC documentary is still out there on t'internet. The account from the Culdrose Seaking Pilot, and also the recording of the last exchanges between the Coastguard and the Solomon Browne and then the moment when the boat is lost is some of the most moving stuff I have ever heard.

> That endless call from the Coastguard "Falmouth Coastguard...Penlee Lifeboat....

I saw the documentary a few years ago. It had me in tears...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...