UKC

how would you choose a shoe besides comfort ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jondo 15 Dec 2016
i recently noticed it is almost impossible to get an 'ideal' hiking shoe.
it seems that the compromise is either you get something a bit heavier, or something very light. the light ones have no real waterproof, while the heavier ones have some more protection.
do you prefer the weight cut or the durability/ weather protection ?
and what do you consider heavy for a long hike shoe (multiple days or even weeks) ?
 Billhook 18 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Weight hardly matters in my view. You and your feet soon get used to it and don't notice after a day or two. All modern shoes are far lighter than those of yore.

Fabric shoess are of course comfortable, light and waterproof. But they don't last as long as leather ones.

Much is personal preference Jondo, but I like a leather shoe thickish leather, reasonably stiff and waterproof lining.

My last such purchase was a pair of goretex lined Gris Sports shoes at around £70 - £80. Lots of people won't like them because they don't look cool in the pub and have no street cred.

OP jondo 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Weight hardly matters in my view. You and your feet soon get used to it and don't notice after a day or two. All modern shoes are far lighter than those of yore.

there is a lot of research on a 5:1 ratio : 1 pound on feet equals 5 pounds on back.

> Fabric shoess are of course comfortable, light and waterproof. But they don't last as long as leather ones.

that's true.

> Much is personal preference Jondo, but I like a leather shoe thickish leather, reasonably stiff and waterproof lining.

> My last such purchase was a pair of goretex lined Gris Sports shoes at around £70 - £80. Lots of people won't like them because they don't look cool in the pub and have no street cred.

was the goretex any good ? i heard bad stuff about goretex in shoes. people say it doesn't breathe and that feet get wet anyway so better something that dries fast.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

I bought some Colombia approach shoes for use in Norway - though they were mesh, the labels on the shoes deffo said 'waterproof'. I can only guess that the labels were waterproof cos the shoes certainly weren't!

Chris
 BnB 18 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:
All the Goretex boots I've had have stayed waterproof for at least a couple of years. And that's about the time a boot sole, toe and rand lasts me with Skye a regular haunt. Can't say that breathability has been a big problem and my outer socks are good to go for three days or more before changing. Inners are smelly but dry enough.
Post edited at 13:50
 zimpara 18 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Sex appeal.

Meindl softline has this appeal
OP jondo 18 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Sex appeal.

> Meindl softline has this appeal

what do you mean ? do you go to S&M clubs with them ?
August West 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:
Was the 'waterproof' label there to indicate that the material used would not absorb water and would therefore dry quicker? I've got some Keen sandals that have such a label. I'm sure you didn't expect the mesh to keep the water out.
Similarly I've seen cheap jackets that claim to have waterproof material but the seams aren't sealed so the water soon comes through the stitching.

To the OP:
The best shoes are the ones that fit your feet the best for the job you want them to do. I would always try and buy quality if possible, but would rather buy three pairs of cheap shoes that feet my feet and fall apart quickly than some expensive ones that are uncomfortable.
Post edited at 15:23
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Dec 2016
In reply to August West:

> Was the 'waterproof' label there to indicate that the material used would not absorb water and would therefore dry quicker? I've got some Keen sandals that have such a label. I'm sure you didn't expect the mesh to keep the water out.

I assumed there was a goretex layer under the mesh because of the label. You only had to approach water and they got wet inside - most useless approachers (well not striclty useless, but least waterproof) I have ever had.

Chris
August West 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Good for hot dry days though.
 wercat 18 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

I like a sole that is solid and stiff enough protect my feet but the lightest uppers i can get.
 bouldery bits 18 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

I buy fell running shoes and use them most of the year (basically unless its really mining weather). Light, durable, low hassle and if I get wet I dry out.
 Luke90 18 Dec 2016
I don't understand the point of waterproof membranes in shoes. Surely in any conditions wet enough to justify them, plenty of water's going to come in at the ankle? Boots must be the only sensible option if you're determined to keep your feet dry in wet conditions, no?
OP jondo 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Luke90:
Yeah, i thought the same. Maybe for consistent light rain and puddles... Not sure its worth the price and discomfort in hot and humid conditions.
Post edited at 18:37
 Dave the Rave 18 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

I've got Meindl Borneos. Use them October to May for their warmth and waterproofness. They are gore tex and I fail to see why this is a good thing to put in a boot. I think it's for people who can't be arsed looking after their boots?
For summer they're too warm and I prefer a pair of Walsh fell runners. The weight is immediately noticeable as is the added dexterity and unfortunately stubbed feet.
It's horses for courses. A fabric boot is a good option for summer but ones with gore tex in are hopeless.
Jim C 18 Dec 2016
In reply to BnB:

My Asolo winter boots are a bit on the heavy side, but I've never had water inside (unless snow got under my Gaitors)
But I would agree that extra weight on my feet tires me much more than several times that weight on my back.
( maybe because I have size 11 feet but only 5-10 tall)
 Billhook 18 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

The point of waterproof shoes? You may just be walking over wet short vegetation such as grass.

Yes goretex or other membrane shoes can get a little too warm (for me) in summer.

I must be lucky regarding weight of boots and or shoes. I notice it only when I pick them up. Once on my feet it doesn't make any differene. But then I also wear boots for work, which by necessity are often weighty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...