UKC

VIDEO: Colin's First Climb - Do What You Can Now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Dec 2016
Colin Goodey, 3 kbA legend of the North Wales climbing scene, Colin Goodey has over 40 first ascents to his name and has been an active climber for over 70 years. Now in his 80s and facing terminal illness, Colin decides to 'do what he can now' and chooses to climb one last route: the first one he ever did, aged 10, bringing a '70 year love affair with the mountains' full circle.

Filmmaker Rob Johnson has shared this touching short film about Colin's journey.

Read more
 lummox 16 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Wonderfully poignant film. I really hope that wasn't Colin's last climb.
 jon 16 Dec 2016
In reply to lummox:

Poignant indeed. A happy/sad moment. It really didn't look like it was his last climb though, did it?
 doylo 16 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:
Hope you keep getting out as long as you can Colin!
 AP Melbourne 16 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Colin Goodey: A legend indeed - in the truest sense. Colin's First Ascent of 'The Great Wall' at Craig y Forwyn was my very own biggest ever personal motivation as a kid to want to climb. This route More Than Any Other, anywhere (although free by the time our generation caught up with it) spoke of 'big walls' - 'Great' even, and great it most certainly was/is.
Colin was so very helpful with historical (and hysterical) notes for the little guidebook I wrote to North Wales Limestone, and - being back in the 70's, always responded by letters with facts, (a drop of fiction, ha?) and utter enthusiasm. A 'Great' man indeed.
I think we only ever met the once in passing but I recall he was charming.
Don't really know what to say now other than 'Thanks Colin' for Great Wall, Castle Inn Quarry ,,,,etc, etc ad infinitum'.
Shall attempt to PM the 'Great' man.
Andy P.

Up High 16 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

This has bought a deep sadness to me but at the same time it is so vibrant and uplifting.
Colin sums up the ethereal epitome of climbing, essentially how it brings your body alive and of the enjoyment which years of being in the mountains brings.
Colin and Sue are such a friendly un assuming couple, I hope they go on to have another last climb and another and another, until the sun sets over the Welsh mountains one last time.
But still the memory will live on in this moving film.
Best wishes to Colin Sue, Sara and Rob
Simon.

sheelba 16 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

A beautiful film
 Smith42 16 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Really beautiful and sad in equal measure.

Hope you have many more fond memories and thank you for sharing this one.

Wishing you and your family all the best.
 rockcat 16 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

A sad and beautiful film but Colin is the finale kid. Look at some of his route names over the years: Finale, The Comeback Kid, The Last Waltz etc. so lets hope it isn't quite over yet. He has had a long association with Castle Inn since the 1950's and his 2011 easier routes there were so eagerly awaited due to the dearth of lower grade sport climbs that people were literally queuing waiting for him to finish bolting to get on them! Thanks for all the routes Colin and all the best.
 Darron 16 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

What a guy! Fantastic, uplifting film.
My wife Marion and I met Colin and Sue a few years ago at Castle Inn. They had just put up Nain & Taid (Grandmother and Grandfather in welsh). Colin said he had bolted them well so that his grandchildren could climb them .

Hope you can keep on top of your illness and get a few more in Colin. Best wishes.
 BusyLizzie 16 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

What a gorgeous film, what a tear-jerker!
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely, thanks.

Best wishes, Colin.

jcm
 robert-hutton 18 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

A beautiful Poignant film, "Thanks and best wishes to all"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...