UKC

Buying a second hand camera?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 16 Dec 2016
Is there a consensus on buying second hand cameras? Specifically off of gumtree. The guy said he has all the boxes etc but no receipts from when he bought it. Is there a chance I'm buying a knock off replica or am I being paranoid?
 Sam W 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Kemics:

The chances of it being a fake, as in dodgy Rolex/Louis Vuitton cheap copy, are very low. The investment required in the manufacturing line required to knock out a fake camera would be too high to make it worthwhile. Chances of it being stolen are higher, although if he has all the boxes, again it is relatively likely.

My experience of buying second hand camera gear has been good, bar one lens which had previously been repaired, and not very well. If the seller seems genuine and the price is reasonable (but not too good to be true), I wouldn't be overly worried.
OP Kemics 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Sam W:

Thanks mate, seems very sensible
 The Potato 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Kemics:

youve not said if its a digital or film, compact, bridge, slr etc but I am going to assume its a dslr then you can check the shutter count
http://www.howtogeek.com/218244/how-to-check-a-dslrs-shutter-count-and-why-...
which will give you an idea of how used the body is, and regarding the lens, it would be good to have a receipt but not essential, Id rather have the boxes as its more likely to be genuine and not a stolen item.
I dont know how you intend to pay for it but please take care, cash on collection is good as you can check the item, otherwise Paypal (not friends / family) is safe as you can potentially claim back if they dont send the item, whereas if you do a bank transfer you are screwed ( been there done that )
If its being posted, ensure they get it insured and tracked even if it means a few extra pounds to you, better safe than sorry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...