UKC

Living in Glasgow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb the peak 17 Dec 2016
Hi everyone,

It looks like I'll be moving up to Glasgow next year to start a PhD!

Ideally I'd like to live somewhere I can cycle commute into the center but that is far enough out of the center to allow me to go on nice evening and weekend cycle rides (50-100km). This place would also be cheap, have a big supermarket nearby and have good transport links for when it's pissing it down.

Does such a place exist in Glasgow?

Thanks a lot,
Alex
 Fraser 17 Dec 2016
In reply to climb the peak:

Will you be renting, what's the maximum daily bike commute you'd consider and does it have to be safe?
In reply to Fraser:

Renting accommodation, happy with up to around 30-40mins bike commute, a safe commute would be much better!
 Fraser 17 Dec 2016

Hah, I was meaning the safe location of the accommodation, not the commute - they're never 'safe'!
 skog 17 Dec 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Glasgow's pretty safe these days to be honest. For a small city, anyway.

Just remember to support Partick Thistle, avoid the town around closing time on a Friday or Saturday night, hide indoors or go elsewhere when there's an Old Firm match, and avoid getting involved in organised crime, and you should be fine!
 JLS 17 Dec 2016

As a city Glasgow is ok. However for cycling/mtb/climbing it doesn't compare favourably with the Peak. Not that these activities will be impossible just they are a bit further away. To get on to nice cycling roads you'll need to ride through 5-10 miles of conurbation. There is good cycling both North and South of the city. If you end up in the west end by Glasgow uni you'll ride North. If you end up in the popular Battlefield/Shawlands area you'll more often than not ride South. On the plus side there is the Cathkin Commonwealth games mtb circuit. Good climbing walls and an indoor velodrome for the dark winter nights. You are young, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

elsewhere 17 Dec 2016
What JLS says.

You can probably get a 20-30 minute commute so 40 minutes will cover most or all of glasgow.

I've been in West end and i'm less familiar with south side but I reckon south side is better for cycling.

Safe commutes nw along canal or w along clyde both to w end.

Friday/Saturday nights in city centre are fine.
Post edited at 20:33
In reply to skog:
My daughter had a flat in Partick in the last year of her PhD. She never had any issues with feeling safe even though she walked to and from work at the Uni. Her flat was near to the Police Station on Dumbarton Rd so late at night she latched onto a beat bobby and followed them back to base!
 summo 17 Dec 2016
In reply to skog:

> Glasgow's pretty safe these days to be honest. For a small city, anyway.

> Just remember to support Partick Thistle, avoid the town around closing time on a Friday or Saturday night, hide indoors or go elsewhere when there's an Old Firm match, and avoid getting involved in organised crime, and you should be fine!

Lived in the 'new' gorbals for bit before going up in the world and moving to top of viccy rd / shawlandds. Often walked to Glasgow wall or town, day and night. and did after work drinks on Friday. There is trouble if you want it, but never had any ever myself. Generally the yobs seem happy fighting each other and leave normal folk to get on with life.
 Nbrain 17 Dec 2016

I live in Barrhead. Train straight into town take between 10-20 minutes. Little bit longer to commute on the bike but less than 10 miles.

Getting out for cycling in north Ayrshire is great. Straight on to nice quiet roads.

No problem parking and can be in Arrochar in under and hour and Glen Coe is 2!
 skog 17 Dec 2016
In reply to summo:

> Generally the yobs seem happy fighting each other and leave normal folk to get on with life.

Yeah, this is my experience too, barring around the football and the team-affiliated pubs. Even there, most of the time.

I wouldn't fancy being around town this Hogmanay, though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37443506
 JLS 17 Dec 2016
In reply to Nbrain:
Ha! I reckon the boy might feel a bit isolated out in Barrhead. For the sake of his mental health, I reckon, depite his cycling habit, he'll appreciate being closer to city life.
Post edited at 22:08
In reply to Fraser:

oh right ok! I'm ok if it's a bit dodgy, low noise levels would be good though
In reply to JLS:

Thanks for the advice!
 JLS 18 Dec 2016

Where is the PhD job based?
If Glasgow Uni you probably would want to be in Partick as the trip by public transport to there from the Southside can be slow.
You can get to Glasgow Uni quickly from anywhere on the underground loop so cheaper places like Kinning Park, Ibrox, Govan become convenient. However, these areas aren't particularly close to big supermarkets.
Strathclyde and Caledonian unis are basically city centre and so have better direct public transport connections or are within walking distance of more residential areas. I'd say make your commute minimal or convienient as possible by living near a train or underground station or within walking distance from work. The time saved can then be better used getting out cycling and climbing.
 skog 18 Dec 2016
In reply to JLS:

> However, these areas aren't particularly close to big supermarkets.

Govan has a large Asda; it's right beside Ibrox, too.

There's a toys-r-us, too, so you need never be bored.
In reply to JLS:

Thanks a lot JLS! PhD based at Strathclyde, so my office will be right in the center.
In reply to skog:

Haha yes, cheers skog
 Fraser 18 Dec 2016

Govan would be good in terms of connectivity, plus quick and easy access to Glasgow Climbing Centre and TCA. Traffic chaos at match times though! Biking would be fine but forget getting away anywhere fast by car. West End is probably your best bet to be honest, there are enough supermarkets and a good social buzz with lots of venue options. Plus it's on the underground loop, which is a big plus compared to the more desirable places on the southside you might be considering.
In reply to Fraser:

Thanks for the info Frazer!
 colinakmc 18 Dec 2016
Partick probly best for "village" feel and good access to trains to Balloch and Milngavie with the bike. Not too much competition at present in getting bike on train either!
Post edited at 17:34
 JLS 18 Dec 2016
In reply to skog:

Asda is close in a car but on foot/bike with a weekly shop I'd say it's a bit of a trek.
 colinakmc 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Fraser:
I worked in Govan for a few years (supporting folk who live there) and it's not really got a thriving centre any more. Govan Cross is quite depressed/ depressing (tho it'll probably improve over the next few years), so although it'll be cheap it's not a place where you'll go for a walk or sit in a cafe for fun. Pubs are very run down too. You'll prefer Partick which is also on the Clockwork Orange circle (the underground!) so easy bad weather commuting and maybe 30 mins in to Strathclyde uni on your bike.

Good luck with your choice.
Jim C 18 Dec 2016
In reply to JLS:

> Asda is close in a car but on foot/bike with a weekly shop I'd say it's a bit of a trek.

We used Asda home delivery when my mother was not able to do a big shop. ( but you have to be in of course)
 kolkrabe 18 Dec 2016

I've been living in Partick for nearly 4 years now and I'd say it's ideal for what you've described. There is a decent sized Morrison's and as a place it's as safe as it gets really. Never really seen any problems or felt worried about the missus coming back home herself late at night. All trains go through Partick station too which is handy for getting anywhere!

I work just the other side of the city in Dennistoun which isn't a million miles from strathclyde Uni and commute regularly by bike. There is a decent cycle path from Partick along the Clyde right to the city centre so as a commute it isn't bad! - Me and some of the work mates were going for big cycles after work in the summer taking in crow road and the take ma doon - well worth the stint along the busy A road to get too IMO.

Like other people have said, it's a great city with lots to see and do. Welcome!
Jim C 18 Dec 2016
In reply to colinakmc:

> Partick probly best for "village" feel and good access to trains to Balloch and Milngavie with the bike. Not too much competition at present in getting bike on train either!

I would echo Patrick, and as mentioned, you are a train/ Subway hub, and you can get the train to Balloch ( or go on the cycle path) and then you have cycling options West and East of Loch Lomond ( and Loch Lomond water bus options in the summer months)
 Fraser 18 Dec 2016
In reply to colinakmc:

Agreed about Govan having no centre, it's a bit of a bleak hole to be honest, but it's a cheap, decent enough centre in which to be based for studenty, tenement living. I'd not want to live there myself, (hence my suggestion for choosing the West End) but I know enough folk who do and they seem to like it.

In reply to kolkrabe:

Just for the sake of accuracy, not *all* trains go through Partick! Anything out of Central heading south doesn't. I prefer Partick to Govan, but I always think it feels a bit grubby and depressing there too.
 Dancingbear 26 Dec 2016

Move to Dumbarton. Commuter belt on bike and train, several supermarkets and the best bouldering in the UK on your doorstep Without dumby I would have jacked Glasgow years ago....now I live 200m from the rock....
 PPP 27 Dec 2016

Will second Partick.

I moved to Glasgow (from abroad) 4.5 years ago and lived in Hillhead, Maryhill, Finnieston and North Kelvinside. I like North Kelvinside/Finnieston, though the latter is great for hopping into a train to get out of the city very quickly. I usually get around on foot most of the time as it takes just over 20 minutes to walk to the city centre, where I work.

After 4 years in West End, I wanted to find a small flat for myself and was looking in Ibrox/Govan initially. Since I was working in Ibrox Stadium as a student and frequented climbing walls often in Ibrox, I thought that would be an alright area. I changed my mind after few flat viewings. If you care about neighbourhood, you might want to take a look at those areas before renting a flat.

Keep in mind that most universities are in West End/City Centre (with exception of UWS which is in Paisley), so living across The River Clyde might be a bit annoying when commuting.

Just my 2p really. I wouldn't mind living in South Side, but I would prefer not to if I had a chance.
 AGilmour 27 Dec 2016

A lot of Strathclyde students, particularly those in the mountaineering club, are living in Dennistoun just out of the city centre to the east but still very convenient for getting to the uni. Flats tend to be a bit cheaper out there and bigger (tenements) so good for bike storage. Generally quite easy to park (no permits etc.) if you've got a car, too. I spent 4 years just off Alexandra Parade while at Strathclyde and found it very convenient.

There is a Morrisons and a Lidl roughly between the uni and Dennistoun, a huge Tesco a bit further out, and buses run along Duke st and Alexandra parade into the centre for if it's wet.

Can give you more info if you want, just pm me.
Jim C 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Dancingbear:

> Move to Dumbarton. Commuter belt on bike and train, several supermarkets and the best bouldering in the UK on your doorstep Without dumby I would have jacked Glasgow years ago....now I live 200m from the rock....

Were you lucky enough to see Sonnie Trotter repeat Rhapsody?
youtube.com/watch?v=HKPVok8lZ_A&
 kwoods 27 Dec 2016
In reply to PPP:

> After 4 years in West End, I wanted to find a small flat for myself and was looking in Ibrox/Govan initially. Since I was working in Ibrox Stadium as a student and frequented climbing walls often in Ibrox, I thought that would be an alright area. I changed my mind after few flat viewings. If you care about neighbourhood, you might want to take a look at those areas before renting a flat.

You're correct in that it's not a 'nice' area for certain. But at the same time I know many people who have moved to flats in the area over the years and had no problems.

> Keep in mind that most universities are in West End/City Centre (with exception of UWS which is in Paisley), so living across The River Clyde might be a bit annoying when commuting.

That is what the subway is for, really, and makes an annoying trip by train a dawdle on the subway.
 kwoods 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I was well pleased to see Jacopo Larcher do Rhapsody earlier this year, who then cruised Requiem an hour later.
 Fraser 27 Dec 2016
In reply to kwoods:

> That is what the subway is for, really, and makes an annoying trip by train a dawdle on the subway.

Sorry for being my usual pedantic self, but 'doddle' and 'dawdle' aren't the same. I think you mean doddle, particularly in this context.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/dawdle - "Waste time; be slow"

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/doddle - "A very easy task"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...