UKC

Back country XC skis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roadrunner5 18 Dec 2016

So I live in the middle of a XC ski centre up in NH.

I've a pair of 62mm fisher skis with NNN bindings which are fine on groomed trails and rolling packed snowmobile trails but I'd like to get off and tour a bit more. I'm a good way off big mountains so think a wider metal edged ski and BC NNN binding, will be fine. It's basically forested hills 1000-2000ft high with loads of ATV or snowmobile trails then the odd hiking trail.

Speaking with locals I get differing advice on what ski to get? It varies from 65-90mm wide and even 112mm..

Also how much shorter should the ski be than my normal skis?
Post edited at 15:42
 wbo 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5: I have Fischer Bcx e99 and like them a lot. They're fat enough to go off track a bit but still thin enough to just fit in a track. Also, as a lazy get , mine are the waxless flavour.

They are pretty long, can't remember the exact lengh

OP Roadrunner5 18 Dec 2016
In reply to wbo:
Thanks,

Yeah I think I'll stay waxless, I know waxed are meant to better but do like the ease of waxless.
 didntcomelast 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I also have Fisher E99's and they are 210long. I'm just under 6' tall and 12stone in weight. Just the job for off track touring in the north Pennines.
 Doug 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

You might as well ask how long is a piece of string as almost everyone will have a different opinion. For similar terrain in Europe I use either nordic flex skis around 55 or 60 mm wide at mid point depending on the terrain but I get the impression deep soft snow is common in N America (my experience in N America is a single trip to the Canadian Rockies many years ago) & so wider skis are more usual. Can you try some of the alternatives ? (either borrowed or hired) - might give you some ideas, alternatively what do the people you'll ski with use ?
 wbo 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5: I will ask the expert when I see her in an hour. 55,60 is distinctly a track ski. The problem with E109 is that they definitely won't go in a track. 99s will, but are slow as they'll drag the sides a bit, but I prefer them to 89s.

For the lazy and rubbish like me waxless is best. If it's very wet though you'll need to cover it with glide spray, but you'll figure all that out

OP Roadrunner5 18 Dec 2016
In reply to wbo:
I have the 62s for general use on the golf course/ XC trails

Thanks all, went for the Fischer excursion 88. Had a good chat with the guy in the shop and he advised going quite a bit thicker than my others.

But not sure I'll be in the terrain enough to need thicker skis. These have skins so you can climb steeper slopes. I mainly want to tour the local trails and get to some easier summits rather than climb things to ski down.

Conditions out east are variable, lots of ice but heavier snow generally than out west. Years change a lot though.

My mum gave me Xmas money and my wife has DIY projects planned so a rush buy before I lose the money...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...