UKC

Photographing cloud inversions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 18 Dec 2016
Im after some photos of cloud inversions probably over the lakes. The thing is im no meteorologists, so could anyone shed some light on what are the type of weather conditions i should be looking for to get the best chance of the cloud inversions photos im after.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Russell Lovett:

Long nights, cold temperatures, clear sky, no wind,

Chris
 felt 18 Dec 2016

Fog low down
Jim C 18 Dec 2016
In reply to felt:

> Fog low down

Mountain high up.
 MikeR 18 Dec 2016

Ideally you want an area of high pressure or anticyclone above relatively cold air at the surface leading to the formataion of fog or very low cloud in the valleys. The best conditions tend to be around dawn as daytime heating from the sun can cause the cloud to lift and break up, although this time of year there is not a lot of strength in the sun so cloud inversions can be quite persistent.

For the Lakes, the best conditions often occur when high pressure is centred over south/central England as this will give a westerly airflow across the Lakes (wind moves clockwise around a high). With a sea track coming across the Irish sea the lowest layer of air will pick up moisture, helping low cloud to form. Bare in mind that the height of the inversion tends to rise away from the centre of the high, making it more likley the cloud tops will be above the summits.
 ericoides 19 Dec 2016
In reply to MikeR:

Cheers for all the help will keep a close eye on the weather over the next few months and hope when the conditions are right i find what im after. Realise that just because the conditions are right doesn't mean i will get a inversion, but it will give me an excuse to get over the lakes anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...