UKC

Male haircuts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 20 Dec 2016
If I wanted my head shaved but not totally clean shaven what would be the shortest I could ask a barber to do

Can you get short than grade 1/2?
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Can't you get a grade zero? i.e. leaves a bit of stubble but not 'bic'd'
 lummox 20 Dec 2016

I take the guard off to shave my head at home- shortest you can without using a razor. Dunno if a barber would do the same.
 ripper 20 Dec 2016

could always try asking the barber...
 TobyA 20 Dec 2016

Spend a tenner (maybe 20 quid tops) on some clippers (most come with those different plastic guards) then you can DIY forever and never go to the barbers again. I've done that for since Ben Moon shaved his dreads off way back when and I decided it was time my stupid indy-boy floppy hair and sometime ponytail had to go to.
 jimjimjim 20 Dec 2016

I use wahl detailing clippers to shave with. About as close as you can get with clippers.
 Trangia 20 Dec 2016

I have a No 1 with the clippers. I think she can go down to 1/2.

It takes about 5 mins and shouldn't cost more than about £5 or £6 depending on whether you want your eyebrows and beard done as well.

Be aware you will feel bloody cold when you go out at first and in the summer wear a hat or put on factor 50 plus sun block or you will burn the top of your head very easily. I got a pre-cancerous skin condition from failing to cover up at first.
 LastBoyScout 20 Dec 2016

The new Philips OneBlade razor - currently 1/3 off in Boots.

Got one for my birthday - it's crap compared to a wet shave for a clean shave, but therefore could be bang up your boulevard.

What TobyA said, +1.

Just get your own clippers, maximum ease and convenience and I guarantee you won't regret it. My dad and father-in-law do the same now, after I gave them each a trim once years ago.

Honestly don't understand any bloke still going to a barber's who isn't a model or on Made In Chelsea.
 Yanis Nayu 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Just Another Dave:

It's all about the disconnected undercut. Your missus ain't doing that for you with a set of Wahls.
 GarethSL 20 Dec 2016
In reply to An Exiled Northerner:

> Can't you get a grade zero? i.e. leaves a bit of stubble but not 'bic'd'

This reminds me of my first European hair cut. My standard 'No.2 on the back and sides' came out considerably shorter than expected.

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

If I get a disconnected anything then I've probably gone at it drunk and left the guard off.
 nufkin 20 Dec 2016
In reply to An Exiled Northerner:

> leaves a bit of stubble but not 'bic'd'

Don't do a wet-shave. Leaves your head feeling like a plucked chicken for a week or so. And if you leave stubble, hats are hard to take off if you make it too short
 Dax H 21 Dec 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> Don't do a wet-shave. Leaves your head feeling like a plucked chicken for a week or so. And if you leave stubble, hats are hard to take off if you make it too short

Only the first time. I have wet shaved my head every 1 to 2 days for over 20 years, once your skin is used to it things are fine.
 buzby 21 Dec 2016

this thread brought back memories of my last trip to the barbers which ended in a red face.
being well on the way to losing a good deal of my hair in my late 30s I went for a haircut one Saturday.
siting in the chair with several guys behind me waiting the barber asked" what will it be"? with a rye smile.
just trim says I.
with obviously very little to work with it was all over in a minute or so, he then proceeded to trim my eyebrow's, obviously in a vain attempt to give me my moneys worth.
then after pausing and looking up at the sign that said gents haircuts £5 he announced "oh just give me £3" to much sniggering from the audience behind.
left in shame never to return and bought myself a trimmer and its been DIY haircuts since.
I can still hear that sniggering today. :>)
 ShortLock 21 Dec 2016
In reply to buzby:

One of my dad's friends tells a story about going to a barber's in Greece. Grasp of the local vernacular being somewhat limited he pointed to a customer who had roughly the hair cut he'd like, only to receive the hair cut they were about to have.

I.e. A buzz cut.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...