UKC

Pacific Crest Trail 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MartynH 22 Dec 2016
Hi world,

My fiancée and I are planning a PCT through-hike attempt for 2017. We're London based, and keen to link up with anyone else planning the same thing from the UK to compare notes / share ideas etc, so if that's you please either reply or message me.

Cheers,
Martyn
 Pbob 22 Dec 2016
In reply to MartynH:

I've not done the PCT but I would recommend taking a boat north from Tofino to Hot Springs to spend a few days chilling out and admiring the awesome wildlife as a way of recovering afterwards. Take a bottle of your favourite liquer. Bliss whatever the weather.
 loose overhang 19 Jan 2017
In reply to MartynH:

Hi Martyn,

There will be a total solar eclipse in the late morning of August 21 passing over Oregon around Mt Jefferson, a volcano, not too far from the PCT. What I know of the PCT (I live nearby) is that you might be traveling in that area about that time. If you can arrange it, I think it might be an experience not to be missed.

Traveling through the N Cascades of Washington in September is fantastic. In a good year it is a perfect temperature for walking and the wild berries are plentiful. I look forward to those days when I can stand in a berry patch and eat, and eat, then move to a different berry species and eat more.

When you are finished the PCT in Manning Park, Canada, imagine what awaits to the north, across Highway 3 - much more and much deeper wilderness.

MartynH 19 Jan 2017
In reply to loose overhang:

Thanks for the tip - I've read about the eclipse and you are right, if we keep to our schedule it should be pretty much directly overhead!

Sadly after Manning Park I'll be having to return to work, but Canada is definitely on the list!!

Out of interest - would you call this is heavy/average/light snow year? It has an impact on timing for the Sierras. The maps I've seen look heavy in Washington but average through the Sierras - a local's view would be great to have?

thanks again,
Martyn
 loose overhang 20 Jan 2017
In reply to MartynH:

Hi Martyn,

It's been the longest cold stretch here in BC for 30 years. Lots of snow, but the PCT through Washington in September will be snow free. A bigger issue might be cold rain getting towards October, but by the time you're getting near the end that won't matter. What I've read it seems the Sierras are where the residual winter snows could be a problem.

Andrew
 brianjcooper 20 Jan 2017
In reply to MartynH:
Have you read the book 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed ? Quite interesting. The film was sh*te!

Maybe take a water purifier with you.
Post edited at 16:40
MartynH 21 Jan 2017
In reply to brianjcooper:

Hi,
I've actually only just started the book - we'd seen the film years ago, though. Will definitely be filtering water!
M
 Sean Kelly 22 Jan 2017
In reply to brianjcooper:

> Have you read the book 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed ? Quite interesting. The film was sh*te!

> Maybe take a water purifier with you.

...and don't forget a sidearm!
 brianjcooper 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> ...and don't forget a sidearm!

I see you've read the book too.
 Sean Kelly 23 Jan 2017
In reply to MartynH:

That's the American state of mind!
 cat22 23 Jan 2017
In reply to MartynH:

CA is having a huge snow year so far - the Mammoth ski resort just had its snowiest month ever. This doesn't necessarily mean that it'll stay snowy for the rest of the winter, but I might lean towards starting later rather than earlier if you can.

Oh and +1 for the earlier comment about berries in Washington - make sure you know what a thimbleberry looks like before you get there!
 loose overhang 25 Jan 2017
In reply to cat22:
I like crop blueberries, but they can't compare to the wild ones. Those are smaller and not quite as sweet, but their flavour is more complex. They vary so much. I like walking up through the micro climate elevation levels and finding a new kind of berry. Some are ground hugging and others stand high on bushes, maybe a meter or more tall, others some size in between. They are even better walking down, time is not usually pressing and we're thirstier and hungry. Perfect.

Martyn, you have to factor in a berry eating session each day while you're in Washington.
Post edited at 01:24
 L.A. 30 Jan 2017
 loose overhang 12 Feb 2017
In reply to MartynH:

An update: I read a couple of days ago that the Sierra's have 175% of their usual average snow fall. The reservoirs are full and the five year drought in CA is over. Very good news for the farmers and consumers of CA fruit and veg. But, PCTers might have to start later than usual.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...