UKC

The burn8ng question is...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 22 Dec 2016
Whats the difference between protein powder and St Ivel five pints? [apart from the mark up obviously]...
 petegunn 22 Dec 2016
In reply to duchessofmalfi:
A glass of semi skimmed milk 250 ml provides about 8g of protein.

The body can only digest so much protein so most of the huge amounts in shakes and drinks you poo out anyway.

The powders often have lots of other added ingredients that are beneficial to muscle growth and recovery, also enzymes that help digestion.

A glass of milk is a good cheap source of added protein to your diet, but Humans aren't really designed to drink milk
Post edited at 22:54
 Big Ger 22 Dec 2016
In reply to petegunn:

> A glass of milk is a good cheap source of added protein to your diet, but Humans aren't really designed to drink milk

That's odd?

http://images.parents.mdpcdn.com/sites/parents.com/files/images/550_1021886...

petegunn 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

There's a huge difference between drinking human breast milk in infancy to drinking Cows milk in adulthood.

Big Ger 23 Dec 2016
In reply to petegunn:

Feel free to expand on that.
 DaveHK 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

My understanding is that the infant and adult digestive systems are a bit different and cow's milk and breast milk are different too. One of them we evolved to drink and one we've only been drinking for 8000ish years and not all of us have the necessary enzymes to digest it.
 Big Ger 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Doesn't really compare the effects of Lactase persistence with the benefits of milk consumption, nor does it give any severity of health effects. Sounds a bit cranky to me.

http://www.nature.com/news/archaeology-the-milk-revolution-1.13471
 DaveHK 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Link battle!!!!!!!!!
 Alpenglow 23 Dec 2016
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I've just realised I'm on UKC at 7:49 in the morning reading an argument about milk.

We all need to take a long hard look at our lives.
 Big Ger 23 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Nah, happy to leave it at that. If anyone wants to deny themselves milk then that's their lookout.
 DaveHK 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Alpenglow:

This is what the holidays are for. More time to disagree with strangers online.
 Big Ger 23 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

No they're not!
 Bootrock 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Nah, happy to leave it at that. If anyone wants to deny themselves milk then that's their lookout.

You don't walk through the woods and see a mature squirrel sucking on a badgers tit.

Mammals are only "supposed" to drink milk in infancy.
In reply to DaveHK:
I'm afraid you're all missing the real dangers of drinking milk:

youtube.com/watch?v=iEQQ13jdccc&
Post edited at 09:44
 DaveHK 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

> I'm afraid you're all missing the real dangers of drinking milk:

Are you saying Captain Beefheart was wrong?
 GrahamD 23 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> Are you saying Captain Beefheart was wrong?

On many levels
 SenzuBean 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14729019
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4524299/

"According to the measurements of estrogen levels in milk by different studies, it was suggested that estrogen in milk was a possible risk to cause prostate cancer. One reason supporting this hypothesis is that Western diet (characterized by milk/dairy products and meat) causes a trend of increasing levels of estrogens, and Western males show a higher incidence rate of prostate cancer than Asia males. Estrogen levels in prostate fluid are also correlated very well with the prostate cancer."

"During the last couple of years, increasing body of evidence are indicating another property of hormones in dairy products as possible impact on human health including the role of some estrogens and insulin-like growth factor-1 in initiation and provoking of breast, prostate and endometrial tumours."

There are also some articles espousing the opposite result - but, turns out they're authored directly by the dairy industry themselves, and tested mice for 8 days before concluding (I quote more or less) "that it was totally safe, you guys, just chill out and drink it". It's pretty clear this is manufactured dissent, just like we've seen with climate change.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...