UKC

If you could only choose one lens....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 22 Dec 2016
Which one would it be?

Fredt's thread got me thinking. If you had to throw away all of your lenses and could only ever use one which would you keep? Let's assume we are all using 35mm full frame sensors.

I would keep my Canon 50mm f1.2. It's a lens I used to use rarely but now find myself using it more and more. With a tripod and stitching software it can take the place of a wide angle. I can use it in almost complete darkness. It's not plastic, has a nice feel. It's a difficult lens to use at f1.2 but the results are magical.
 Murderous_Crow 22 Dec 2016
In reply to estivoautumnal:
When I (finally) get a full-frame SLR, I will definitely have this lens on my shopping list. The quality of prime lenses is indeed magical.

I used an 85mm F1.8 with my Eos20d (APS-c sensor). It was beautifully clear.

Edited to add - I'd be keeping my current and only lens - 17-40mm F4.0 L Series. On a full-frame camera it's a superb wide angle with the ability to quickly close in to more normal perspective. For a zoom, the quality is amazing, and it's maximum aperture doesn't present too many problems.
Post edited at 20:48
Removed User 22 Dec 2016
In reply to estivoautumnal:

The 28-70 2.8L Mk2, which is on my camera 90% of the time. I might get by with a 28 or 35 prime with IS. I'd really really miss my 135 f2.

I lust after a 17mm T/S but it's back down the next purchase queue a little, though there are no other lenses in front of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...