UKC

ARTICLE: UKC Christmas Climbing Quiz 2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 25 Dec 2016
UKC Christmas Quiz, 3 kbIt's Christmas day and you've most likely had your fair share of presents, food, relatives and drink. Aside from playing with your new toys, there's not much else to be getting on with aside from more eating and drinking, unless you're lucky enough to be heading out.

Fear not, as we've put together a Christmas Day quiz to give you your fix and a reason to escape the merry mayhem. No Googling or UKC searching allowed, you're only cheating yourself...

Read more
 stp 25 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

Good quiz though the photo questions are nails. Not even sure of the crags let alone the routes.

For the crossword if there are several words do you separate them with a space, a comma or not at all? I know computers can be very sensitive to this kind of thing.
In reply to stp:

You can put spaces in, doesn't make a difference. Glad they're tricky!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 25 Dec 2016
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Chris currently leading, I hope no help was given Natalie!
 chrisprescott 25 Dec 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:

That was my concern, unfortunately it has more to do with me being a bit of a climbing nerd!
In reply to UKC Articles: Good, but NOT easy. Crossword was OK, but struggled on the photos and anagrams are definitely not my thing!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 25 Dec 2016
In reply to chrisprescott:

Very impressed Chris. Far too hard for me!
 john arran 25 Dec 2016
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

> Good, but NOT easy. Crossword was OK, but struggled on the photos and anagrams are definitely not my thing!

I'm with you on the anagrams. My approach was that if I knew the answer I'd put it down, if not I'd have a guess at multiple choice questions. The crossword was almost like separate questions so I got most of those. But the anagrams would need work and time ... and it's Christmas day, so I think I got one that jumped out at me and ignored the rest.

Hey ho. I was never going to compete with the walking encyclopaedias anyway!
 lithos 25 Dec 2016
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

is the crossword actually formatted correctly ? for me it doesnt line up,
and are you sure you know your greeks from your egyptions ?
In reply to lithos:

True. Should be Egyptian God. The name is Greek, doh...
 deacondeacon 25 Dec 2016

That was really good, have we had one every year? Don't remember doing one last year.
I didn't mind the anagrams, just everything else I struggled with
 Robert Durran 25 Dec 2016

Was enjoying it until the anagrams, which, along with crosswords, I don't consider legitimate questions, so I bailed out.
 jon 25 Dec 2016

The down clues on the list and on the crossword don't match up. Or have I had too much wine?
In reply to jon:

14 doesn't match for some reason, but answer the one in the form rather than the one on the crossword itself, so A Negligent Arête is the one that fits. Sorry!
 BrendanO 25 Dec 2016
Ouch. 27% odd, I reckon. Quite chuffed with some of the ones I DID get though, and maybe a reminder to get out and about more (surely not to spend even more time on UKC? ).

Cheers for putting it up team!
B
Post edited at 17:18
 zimpara 25 Dec 2016

20%. Sandbagged Quiz!
 DaveHK 25 Dec 2016

Some of the crossword clues didn't have the number of letters for me. There's a Greek goddess, a Roman god, two Roman goddesses, some Greek nymphs and an Egyptian god on the Ben but no Greek god that I can think of!
 DaveHK 25 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> 20%. Sandbagged Quiz!

Without the grit questions you'd have got 80%.
 Harald 25 Dec 2016
Fun! Hard for a foreigner with minimal climbing experience in the UK. 56% will have to do.
 stp 25 Dec 2016

Thanks and definitely tricky enough for me.

Stuck on the anagrams now. I'm assuming that 'Negro Tits' is probably not the answer you're looking for on question 27.
 stp 25 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

If you go to the puzzle page you can count the number of squares. It's six for that one. And if you got 5 across you'll know what the fourth letter is.

I've still got no clue though. I've never been to the Ben and my knowledge of Greek Mythology is rather limited.
In reply to DaveHK:

It's actually an Egyptian God, but the Greek name as I corrected above...apologies!
 Steve Perry 25 Dec 2016
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC: I got 26/57 without any googling. I knew I'd one of the photos right as it's mine. Should have printed the crossword out but couldn't get off the couch.

stp 25 Dec 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Was enjoying it until the anagrams, which, along with crosswords, I don't consider legitimate questions, so I bailed out.

Yeah, I'm totally sh*t at anagrams too. You could do what I did. I got my scrabble set out, picked out the letters for each question and played around with them until I came up with something. Might still be totally wrong but it's fun trying.
 lithos 25 Dec 2016
In reply to stp:

once i had the 6 letters and one letter I thought of something (newsworthy) on the Ben and work backwards like i did,
then get confused about egypt/greek I did get a greek on the Ben but didnt fit. hence my ? to Nat earlier.
I presumed the x-word pattern was unrealiabe so I am not sure which ones i got wrong on the x-word, only 1 i thought i didnt know.

pix were tough couple no idea, and quite a few guesses for me. Anagrams was ok but slow

dont know which ones i got wrong didnt write em down !
 Sean Kelly 25 Dec 2016

Crossword is very easy but I'm struggling elsewhere!
 lithos 25 Dec 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:
hmm got 12 down wrong though my answer fits the clue perfectly !

-doh - sussed it, my answer was too x-wordy but fits the clue if a tad frenchy
Post edited at 19:56
 jon 25 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

> I got 26/57 without any googling...

I got 26 too, do I have to work out the percentage myself or have I missed it?
 Steve Perry 25 Dec 2016
In reply to jon: 46%(ish)

Stopsy 25 Dec 2016

Great head scratching, thoroughly chuffed with 51%. Big thanks to all at UKC for that!
 Will Hunt 26 Dec 2016

43/57. Not sure if that will register as I f*cked up the submission. Was doing it on my phone till the crossword which wouldn't let me type clues in the boxes on the external webpage. Fired up the laptop and did the crossword on there and hit submit without filling in the rest of it! D'oh!
 zimpara 26 Dec 2016
In reply to chrisprescott:

Well done grit crouton
 Michael Gordon 26 Dec 2016

Great stuff! Not that I did very well... The Ben question was nails, particularly since I only had an old guide to hand (that's not google or UKC so must be allowable). I don't know my Greek from my Egyptian, Roman etc so wouldn't have made a difference.

Think I got about 76% but I'm only counting the questions I answered
 deacondeacon 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Think I got about 76% but I'm only counting the questions I answered

That's generally how quizzes work lol

zimpara 26 Dec 2016
> I only had an old guide to hand (that's not google or UKC so must be allowable).

I think that is definitely grounds for disqualification.

Quiz should be taken Onsight, no beta!
Post edited at 11:19
 Mr Lopez 26 Dec 2016

I did google that one... After coming up with the name and seeing it fits the crossword i was also sure it was egyptian, so i did a quick search for the name and it came up with "...is the Greek name of a god (...) in ancient Egyptian religion", so i banged it in. Seeing the circumstances i hope that wasn't cheating!
 stp 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

No googling allowed (and I take that to mean no searching generally).

I agree with Zimp. Onsight, no beta.
 Mr Lopez 26 Dec 2016
In reply to stp:

It's a question where they did a mistake in the clue. There is nothing in Ben Nevis named after a Greek God that fits the wordcount and matches the letters in the crossword. Starting with the solution and double checking that inconsistency and working out what their mistake was to confirm that's the word they want is not really cheating is problem solving .

Post edited at 11:51
 zimpara 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

No prizes for smart arses lol
In reply to deacondeacon:

> That's generally how quizzes work lol

My score would be much lower if counting all the questions, as I'm sure you're meant to do
 zimpara 26 Dec 2016

That's like me saying my onsight percentage for VS4c is 100% (If you discount the few that I have been stuck on and needed rescuing)
 charvey 28 Dec 2016

If you write in the webpage with the crossword the lines turn purple when you write the correct answer?

https://www.puzzlefast.com/en/puzzles/2016122012245658/nsl-puzzle
 Michael Gordon 29 Dec 2016
In reply to charvey:

They do, yes! Very useful
 zimpara 29 Dec 2016

Still Onsight? lmao
 Brown 29 Dec 2016

Question 34

I've not got the guide to hand so I cannot check but I thought the answer the quiz is giving as correct is a variation finish on the original route that misses out the final E6 pitch through the top roof.

Am I remembering this correctly?
 Michael Gordon 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I wasn't replying to you above
Ok so I have submitted my pathetic entry (<50%). A great wee diversion from the Christmas eat-fest but when will we know the answers please?
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
I'll post them up next week...if I can remember them!
Post edited at 20:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...