UKC

Vacuum cleaner running costs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dunc56 26 Dec 2016
All things being equal, would a corded or cordless vacuum cost more to run ? And please explain why. You'll help settle an argument that we can't find the correct search terms for on Google.

Thanks in advance.
 Denzil 26 Dec 2016
In reply to dunc56:
You'll need to look at the relevant power of the alternative vacuum cleaner and measure how long it takes to do the cleaning with each. Watts times hours = Whrs. Whichever ends up with the bigger figure will be more expensive to run. Note that a rechargeable vacuum will lose energy when charging (charging the battery will only be about 90% efficient), so this should be taken into account if the alternative vacuums come up with figures which are close.
 wintertree 26 Dec 2016
In reply to dunc56:

All other things being equal, a cordless device would use more energy due to inefficiencies in the battery charging process.

My limited experience of cordless cleaners however is that:

1) They're lower power than corded. I do not know enough to predict if a lower power cleaner uses more or less energy overall, and suspect this depends on myriad factors.

2) They tend to have a hand activated power switch in the grip, encouraging the user to turn them off when moving from place to place compared to a cabled cleaner. This alteration of user behaviour could potentially save a lot of energy.
ceri 27 Dec 2016
In reply to dunc56:

Do you clean often enough that your cleaner usage is significant or is it a hypothetical question?
Removed User 27 Dec 2016
In reply to dunc56:

Do you keep a spreadsheet to calculate car mpg by chance?
 birdie num num 27 Dec 2016
In reply to dunc56:

I use my vacuum cleaner to suck my gas meter back which makes my central heating very economical. Swings and roundabouts.
 gethin_allen 27 Dec 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

> I use my vacuum cleaner to suck my gas meter back which makes my central heating very economical. Swings and roundabouts.

Have you not had someone come in and install a bypass so it only meters half the usage?
 ogreville 28 Dec 2016
In reply to dunc56:

Best way to find this out would be to look at the energy efficiency rating table on a variety of vacuum cleaners. This should give you a kWH/annum rating to for a like-for-like comparison. This is the little chart with A - D ratings from Green to Red, and gives a box with the kWh/annum figure.

I think most mains vacuum cleaners run direct to a 240v motor so you have super simplicity - mains to motor to suction. This would be as apposed to a charged vacuum which would probably be - main to a voltage convertor to a battery charger to the battery. This will all result in wastage. Plus, a cordless would probably take much longer to cover the same square meter of carpet because of the lower suction and size.
 Gone 28 Dec 2016
In reply to dunc56:

Battery anything will have high running costs because the battery will only have a finite no of charges before losing too much of its capacity. Cost to replace battery will dwarf any possible savings on the electricity bill.
 marsbar 28 Dec 2016
In reply to dunc56:
I think all things being equal charging a cordless won't be as efficient as using a cord.

However cordless vacuums are much easier to use and lighter, so the humans expend less calories lifting and moving the vacuum

I much prefer my cordless one, it's so much easier to use.
Post edited at 14:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...