UKC

Garmin Edge 820 Cadence sensor help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonathan watt 26 Dec 2016

Hoping for some help with the Garmin Edge 820.

Have had the Edge 800 for a number of years now until recently when I managed to break the screen! I now have the Edge 820 and first impressions are good. The only issue I have so far is not being able to pair the cadence sensor. I still have the old sensor from the edge 800 on the bike as I simply got just the Edge 820 unit with no sensors. Does anyone know if the sensor from the 800 is compatible with the 820 and whether I need to get one of the new ones? I have looked on the Garmin support pages but to no avail.

Many thanks for any help.
Post edited at 20:52
 andy 26 Dec 2016
In reply to jonathan watt: don't know about cadence sensors (I imagine it should work as it's ANT+), but the screen's a bloody nightmare in the rain - blobs of water hit it and it changes screen or data field. You have to lock the screen if you think it might rain or it drives you bonkers.

I have a 1000 at work (I'm away through the week so have two of most stuff) and it doesn't seem to have the same issue, so maybe they've changed something about the screen.

OP jonathan watt 26 Dec 2016
In reply to andy:

I thought that about the ANT+ but it just will not pair. Haven't tried it in the rain yet - had no problems with the 800.
 gethin_allen 26 Dec 2016
In reply to jonathan watt:

My best guess is that the new 820 which supports Bluetooth and ant+ is trying to pair with the cadence sensor (which is only ant+) in Bluetooth mode rather than ant+ mode.
 Indy 26 Dec 2016

Is it the old or new type?

You need to wake it up when pairing..... strap it on and cycle.
 Indy 26 Dec 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> My best guess is that the new 820 which supports Bluetooth and ant+ is trying to pair with the cadence sensor (which is only ant+) in Bluetooth mode rather than ant+ mode.

Nope, BT will only connect to a phone and you can switch it on and off. Ant+ is invisible to the user.
 andy 26 Dec 2016

> ... had no problems with the 800.

No - me neither. I think the screens are different.

andy 26 Dec 2016

> I thought that about the ANT+ but it just will not pair. Haven't tried it in the rain yet - had no problems with the 800.

Mine also has struggled to pick up my power meter when other Edges don't, so it may be a bit less sensitive than other models.
OP jonathan watt 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Indy:

The 820 is the newest one - the cadence sensor will be around 4 or 5 years old.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...