UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Is 2017 going to produce the start of a New World Order? Or the start of WWIII? Or is it just a play for power by different people amongst the usual suspects? Or any combination of those?

This is an interesting article by Gavin Hewitt:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37055521

I don't thing it tells us much that we don't already know, especially if you've been keeping up with events of the last couple of years, but somewhat brings a lot of things together.

Personally, I think there is a big rejection of globalisation happening in the "western world". The spreading of the wealth to economies such as China, India, Eastern Europen, South-East Asia and to some extent even South America has had a hit on the lives of the citizens of the traditionally wealthier nations, i.e. Western Europeans and Northern American. If we turn from globalisation to isolationalism or as is quoted in the article "responsible nationalism", as now appears to be the case, I fear it will lead to the rise of megolaniacs and almost certainly to war. An over-reaction? Trump, Putin, Erdogan, Orban, Le Penn, Wilders and don't for one minute thing our very own good ol' Nige is finished.

I think there are powerful people who are playing on the fact that the ordinary citizen are pissed off with the way certain things are going, which is basically that they are not willing to share their personal wealth around. This was an inevitable consequence of globalisation and after all, it was never going to be the rich and the powerful who were going to feel the pain of this readjustment, was it? In a world of post-truth politics, these "pissed off" citizen are now willing to believe in ideas that instantly gratify their own beliefs, without thinking things through and there are some who are dishonest enough to play on this with the use of outright lies. In fact, when it comes to beliefs, I doubt many think through their initial beliefs to any great extent. It's the immigrants, it's the EU, it's the libtards, it's the bankers. Personally, I think it's the meglomania of a few (mostly) white men who are playing a power game with our lives.

Or am I just being paranoid or just unaccepting of inevitable change. Perhaps a New World Order is needed? Perhaps the reduction of the global population by a couple of billion is also needed? Or is it just business as usual with different people at the top?
Post edited at 08:09
 Pete Pozman 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Just heard Globalisation described on Radio 4 as a force of Nature. This seems self evident. It can't be stopped or even slowed down. There are going to be continuing exponential changes to the world we think we know especially in the development of machines. The big question is can we respond as wise adults or will we trust the screaming toddlers to "take control"?
 BnB 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Perhaps we are collectively so poor at planning and reasoning that we must accept that flawed decisions are a necessary part of the process of making better ones. After all, Germany is Europe's moral leader in reaction to its disastrous choices of the past.

The US now faces a possible descent into relative irrelevance if Trump pursues his protectionist manifesto. The flawed EU might be torn apart by separatist states, populist uprisings or weaknesses in the banking system. And the UK must steer a careful course away from the EU's unreliable gravity if it is to make the best of another poorly conceived election.

But each of those entities could also turn risks into opportunities. All it takes is a collective mindset, and the biggest challenge facing politicians of all hues is to bring people together. Democrats and a Republicans, Remain and Leave, right and left.

Ironically, it may prove that the worst choices ultimately lead to the best outcomes. The UK's split from the EU may be the saving of the European project and finally cement good relations with our neighbours. Trump may remind Americans that it is the audience, not the players, who bestow greatness.

Here's hoping for some good outcomes for everyone and that 2016 is ultimately looked upon by history as a year of uncomfortable but progressive corrections.
In reply to BnB:

I like your optomism BnB, I certainly hope you are right.

I just worry that there are those playing on our divisions that will open them up for their own gain rather than drawing us closer together for the common good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...