UKC

running in the cold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jondo 27 Dec 2016
any advice ?
i find it extremely hard to get started, once i start im ok.
thin jackets, tights, tried it , doesn't help with motivation.
 Run_Ross_Run 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Tried gloves and bobble hat? Choose thin/lightweight ones and just take them off if needed once warmed up.

Music can help to take your mind off it. Personally prefer running in the cold, find Rab vapourise smock to be the best option.

wbo 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo: tru running in the morning , or , if possible, lunchtime. Dagligtale makes a big difference. Other wise ITS a simple case of toughening up. The later in the evening you go, the harder

colinakmc 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:
Try planning to go shorter and harder - do some intervals or hills, but plan it to have a purpose. Nothing worse than junk miles in the cold. Alternatively, go off-road in the moonlight - you'll be so taken up with the ambience of it you'll forget about the cold.

Hat & gloves essential though, and a buff can be great til you warm through.
 BusyLizzie 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Hat, gloves, neck buff - all can be taken off as you warm up, but start warm and really well wrapped so that you never actually get cold. I have leg-warmers to cover the gap between socks and leggings. Cold fingers will ruin your outing. But start warm and remember how fantastic you will feel when you've finished your run.
 Yanis Nayu 27 Dec 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I find I need to start a bit cold and then warm up to be just right.

Yanis Nayu 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

> any advice ?

> i find it extremely hard to get started, once i start im ok.

There's your answer. If you want to go running you will. If you don't, you won't.

> thin jackets, tights, tried it , doesn't help with motivation.

I don't understand the point you're making.
 Stig 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
I don't really understand either, I suspect it's a mindset thing.

I prefer running in the cold on every level. Easier to regulate temperature, no sweat in the eyes, less dehydrating. Usually better conditions, drier underfoot etc.

If it's cold like today I'd wear a thermal with a t-shirt over it, tights if it's muddy or a bit breezy, thin gloves and a buff is brilliant because you can wrap it round your arm. It's only the first 1/2 mile that might feel uncomfortable
 Rampikino 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Running in the cold is fantastic and very rewarding. Motivation is the key and there are no tips for this other than simply to get on with it!

After over 2000km of running in 2016 I can tell you that the refreshing feeling of an ice-cold run is like no other.
ceri 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Only problem running in the cold is if people want to hang around at the start. Is it the running alone or the dark that is the problem?
 BusyLizzie 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

You are absolutely right. I have to start warm cos I am a wimp.
OP jondo 27 Dec 2016
In reply to ceri:

> Only problem running in the cold is if people want to hang around at the start. Is it the running alone or the dark that is the problem?

neither, i am used to running alone. it's just something about the cold that puts me off.

OP jondo 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

> Running in the cold is fantastic and very rewarding. Motivation is the key and there are no tips for this other than simply to get on with it!

> After over 2000km of running in 2016 I can tell you that the refreshing feeling of an ice-cold run is like no other.

2000.. that's quite a bit. yeah, i was thinking of doing a marathon, done only hm till now.
 steveriley 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Morning run on the hills, mud drying out, tail end of a night frost, breaking ice on the odd frozen puddle, bit of a misty cloud inversion across the valley. Absolute desert island run conditions. The more you go out in the cold, the better your chance of stumbling across a real gem of a day like this.
OP jondo 27 Dec 2016
In reply to steveriley:

> Morning run on the hills, mud drying out, tail end of a night frost, breaking ice on the odd frozen puddle, bit of a misty cloud inversion across the valley. Absolute desert island run conditions. The more you go out in the cold, the better your chance of stumbling across a real gem of a day like this.

sounds enchanting, but also an acquired taste...
 Yanis Nayu 27 Dec 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> You are absolutely right. I have to start warm cos I am a wimp.

>

No, you're awesome!
 fmck 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

It depends how cold it is, snow on ground, wind chill, etc. I find I can end up with a balaclava and hood up + mitts instead of gloves some times.
I had poor tights once that the wind blew right through. A few times I thought I was going to end up freezing my knob off until I addressed the problem. As a temporary measure once I shoved a crisp pock down the tights and it did work.
In winter I switch from hills to single track moor roads always running in the dark. Its much safer as any cars up there are very noticeable with their headlights flashing across the hillside long before they reach me. All the same I have a red tail light on the back of the head torch and flashing bracelets round the ankles.
 BusyLizzie 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> No, you're awesome!

Aww, thank you! xx

Brass Nipples 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Run to the start, then when you start you'll already be started so you'll be ok.
 veteye 27 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Move to the midlands. It was cooler today but it was not that cold.I am old fashioned and usually go out in Ron Hill bottoms and a long sleeved top.I too take gloves and hat in my car or van, but today I only used the hat, and that was sweaty by half way round.
I always worry when I go out in the dark that someone will get raped or murdered and that I may then end up as a suspect!
I always have a starting gate in my mind, then aim to get through it as soon as I can after going outside(from home) or when quitting the vehicle. Once I 've gone through the starting gate I have to continue.
I quite often don't fancy the idea of a run,but I find that the run through the trees and in quiet places cracks open my mindset and then the endorphins take over. It's also easier if you are well hydrated, don't have a full bladder and have had more sleep.
 Rampikino 27 Dec 2016
In reply to veteye:

Having lots of clothing options helps - I have just about everything under the sun and that gives me no excuse not to get out and run. I could go out with all but my eyes covered if I wanted.

For me it's actually worse getting out when it is windy - much more demotivating for me.
 wbo 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Rampikino: I agree. Cold is ok, but the wind is hard work, and I see plenty of it (gusts to 50 mph yesterday, and hail. Uff).

Re. 2000km per year. I used to go running at lunchtimes in central London with some hard boys. One day the conversation was 'what's the most mileage you've ever done in a weekend? There were lots of 30, 40miles ( these boys raved 1500 to 10km mainly) but this bloke Terry Booth said he thought 73. That was a part of his 213mile week which is a lot of Kms, and probably all run pretty quick.

Rampikino 28 Dec 2016
In reply to wbo:

That's serious mileage. I will be going up in miles until June due to three long-distance efforts but have promised myself an easier second half to the year.
 steveriley 28 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

> sounds enchanting, but also an acquired taste...

Pretty much that exact run this morning. It was a real beauty. I recommend you just get on with it and find out for yourself! Hope that helps
OP jondo 29 Dec 2016
In reply to steveriley:

> Pretty much that exact run this morning. It was a real beauty. I recommend you just get on with it and find out for yourself! Hope that helps

well did a 28k ... absolute demolished my legs, hopefully ill be walking normal in a few days..
 Wainers44 29 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

> well did a 28k ... absolute demolished my legs, hopefully ill be walking normal in a few days..

Well done for gettting out, its the best time of year to run!! Help the leg stiffness by going out again tomorrow?

I decided it would be a good cure for a cold, so ran 45K right across Dartmoor yesterday morning. Nice and icy to start with but boy did it sweat the cold out!

My favourite bit of winter running kit is now my Solomon running "tights" (OK I know old guys like me shouldnt really be allowed to wear them...).
OP jondo 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

> Well done for gettting out, its the best time of year to run!! Help the leg stiffness by going out again tomorrow?

> I decided it would be a good cure for a cold, so ran 45K right across Dartmoor yesterday morning. Nice and icy to start with but boy did it sweat the cold out!

jeez, 45k ?
problem is im used to short-mid distance.. up to 10k .. at that distance no leg fatigue allows me to maintain a pace i enjoy. the other day i felt like some zombie from the walking dead.
in the cold i have to warm up a long time to run short distance faster.
 Wainers44 29 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

45K is the shortest distance from Ivybridge in the South to Okey in the North, so there arent really any shortcuts and some of the bogs were cool to say the least! I must admit that hammering my old legs down the stony track off the high-point (Hangingstone Hill at 603M) after 38K ish made them blooming ache!

I used to only run short distances, but found that pushing hard on short uphill sections, or running further and further on big hills before walking helped a lot. Mind, I cant run a big distance unless I am well fed and able to eat as I go along....or I tend to fade/faint!
 Rampikino 29 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Got out last night around 7pm. It was still and clear. I did a dark 10k. The real issue was not the cold on me, but the frost on the roads. It was very, very slippy in places. For a couple of miles every step had an element of "give" to it.
 BusyLizzie 29 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

I thought of this thread this morning while waddling a very cautious very short distance on icy pavements, and then returning to a shower that refused to run hot!!
 steveriley 29 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Oof, good effort, guess you found the motivation then! Rather overshadows my poxy 3 miles today (can I still brag about the 1200' of climbing?)
OP jondo 29 Dec 2016
In reply to steveriley:

How do you combine running and climbing?
 mountainbagger 30 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

At least you can go running. I'm sat here reading this after a few days nursing a (mild, I think) calf muscle tear. Walking around yesterday and a little jogging chasing my kids around felt ok but stiff, so I might risk a run today.

Shame as weather where I am has been cold and sunny last few days (very enticing from my point of view), but today is grey

Well done on your 28km though. I haven't run that far for a while.
 steveriley 30 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Ah, climbing as in ascent. Find local hill, run up, repeat x6. I'm told it's good for you
 DancingOnRock 30 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Decent hat to cover the ears and decent gloves that are easy to remove.

The rest of you will be warm inside 10minutes but cold ears or fingers will only get colder.

Below 0'C I'm not sure about shorts but don't have any 'tights', Ron Hills are ok if it's an easy/slow run.
 Dave the Rave 30 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Will this do the trick?
youtube.com/watch?v=wHlvKQwZFSI&
 Wainers44 30 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Coldest run ever was a foray in freezing fog depending on Nav sense rather than a map. I got back to the car 28k later with frozen eyes and frosty hair thinking how I was always going to carry kit in winter in the future....
OP jondo 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Will this do the trick?

yeah , that helps..
 tingle 03 Jan 2017
In reply to jondo:

The trick is to wear as little as possible to save on washing. Or if you can find a suitable stash spot just wear hat and gloves and pick them back up on your way back. Carrying stuff in pockets etc is a pain
 tjin 03 Jan 2017
In reply to jondo:

Sometimes peer pressure works well. Having a buddy check in on your strava/runkeeper (or similair) and poke you when you didn't go or going on a snail pace really works. Especially if that buddy in cute and the opposite sex...
OP jondo 04 Jan 2017
In reply to tjin:

> Sometimes peer pressure works well. Having a buddy check in on your strava/runkeeper (or similair) and poke you when you didn't go or going on a snail pace really works. Especially if that buddy in cute and the opposite sex...

yep, unfortunately all my buddies are hairy and smelly and only climb (and of the same sex, not gay here. )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...