UKC

Mtb illumination

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 27 Dec 2016
Got an urge to take the trails on my way home instead of dicing with death and playing with lorries.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/boson has caught my eye, and alpkit normally do me well, anyone else tried it or have another one to try?

Don't want the battery pack separate from the light as my stem is 30mm long so can't hang it there and frame mounts look ugly as f***.
 Chris the Tall 27 Dec 2016
In reply to fire_munki:

Looks excellent value, but whether it is sufficient illumination depends on how difficult the trails you plan to ride. You'll be fine on fire roads and the like, but I'd want a bit more for anything rocky or technical.

Personally I have a 2000 lumen light on my bars and 900 on my helmet - really useful to have both as often you need to look it a different direction to the way the bike is pointing!

However what you may find is that you can start off using this on your handlebars, and if you get into it (and it is fun) you can then get something brighter and use this on your helmet
 neil0968 27 Dec 2016
In reply to fire_munki:

looks wrong for trail riding to me i have a magic shine 1600 lumen and would not want anything less in terms of output for riding trails but we do tend to ride technical trails all year round
OP fire_munki 27 Dec 2016
In reply to neil0968:

Sadly the doesn't have an integrated battery, they all look to want to hang of the stem which isn't long enough on my cube ( I presume). I'm more than open to suggestions mind you!
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Personally I have a 2000 lumen light on my bars and 900 on my helmet - really useful to have both as often you need to look it a different direction to the way the bike is pointing!

+ 1 on this. Similar set up here. Cateye Volt 1600 on bars and Volt 800 on helmet. Personally I prefer integrated units and the mounts on these are bombproof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...