UKC

Almscliff lamp sessions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marc Langley 28 Dec 2016
This is just a quick shout out to the knob heads who have continued to climb at Almscliff in the evening with lamps. The farmer now keeps his cattle in the top field which has made the entire place a quagmire of shit.

Those of us who have the ability to respect some one elses property are now having to dodge shit.

I'm sure all you armchair climbers will churp up along with the useusl gimps who comment on every single post.

Stop climbing at night with lamps. Rebuild the relationship with the farmer and just maybe in the future he will willingly acomodate us again
In reply to Marc Langley: disappointing to hear this.

johncook 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Marc Langley:

Unfortunately, appealing to that kind of knobhead will get us nowhere. They will continue with their stupidity until all the genuine caring climbers, who respect others property are banned, and then 'they' will continue going as it does not affect them as they consider rules are meant to be broken!
 deacondeacon 28 Dec 2016

I know it should be obvious that you shouldn't be lamping within sight of a farmhouse, but have signs been put up?
Not everyone reads ukc/ukb.

It's not an excuse I know, but not every climber will know about the recent friction between farmer and night boulderers.
 Offwidth 28 Dec 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

Everyone should at least check RAD before climbing.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/View.aspx?id=465
OP Marc Langley 28 Dec 2016
In reply to johncook:
Valid point John. Never construct an argument when you are frustrated. Its just so annoying. Are we to expect more this type of attitude towards access as the popularity in climbing increases and the ethics and nuanced ways of doing things are forgotten ?
Post edited at 10:28
 deacondeacon 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Everyone should at least check RAD before climbing.

> haha, you really think that's going to happen?
If someone's been to Almscliff all year in the daytime then decide they're going for an evening instead they're very unlikely to check the RAD database. How many crags have different crag restrictions depending on time of day?
If I'm going to a new crag I've never been to I'll look at RAD but if I'm going to Stanage for the 100th time this year I'm not going to (perhaps I should).
Also as amazing as this may sound there'll be boulderers who've never heard of the database.
It should be obvious not to night boulder so close to a farm but evidently it isn't, blaming people isn't really the answer but educating (with signage) will definitely help.
 Offwidth 28 Dec 2016

I'm not blaming, its just what climbers should do. Its linked to UKC logbooks and only takes a minute and can save access issues from being infamed. Especially so right now since the BMC have recently gone to the trouble of improving RAD.
 Sean_J 28 Dec 2016

Why not have someone pop along every now and then in an evening and politely inform the potential knobheads about the situation? Or maybe put up a sign somewhere. There are a lot of people that don't read UKC/UKB you know.
 deacondeacon 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> I'm not blaming, its just what climbers should do. Its linked to UKC logbooks and only takes a minute and can save access issues from being infamed. Especially so right now since the BMC have recently gone to the trouble of improving RAD.

Are you honestly telling me that you check the RAD database every time you go climbing?
OP Marc Langley 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Sean_J:
Is there a forum or database regarding access to your house or garden? If not how else will I know it is probably not ok for me to turn all my lamps on and start traversing along your garden wall at night?

Maybe it is just plain old common sense for me not partake in these actives in such a manor that would damage my ability to traverse your garden wall during the day too.
Post edited at 13:34
 Offwidth 28 Dec 2016

Nearly always these days if I have internet access, its so easy, why not?
 johncook 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Sean_J:
Do you think they will (can) read a sign. It will be too dark for them to see it will be the excuse. And as for trying to inform someone that they should not be there, that takes a brave (possibly foolhardy) person. I have asked people to respect the Ring Ouzle signs on Stanage several time and on every occasion have been ignored (the lesser variant) or openly threatened or sworn at! Apparently, as it is CROW land they are entitled to climb there and someone 'sticking penny flags' around an area means nothing, so they are going to carry on doing what they are doing!
Post edited at 19:19
ceri 28 Dec 2016
I know it's really annoying, but unless you have spoken to them and know otherwise they might genuinely not know there is a problem. I run through people's farmyards with a head torch and a dog because I'm out at night and it's a public footpath. I can imagine going night bouldering at a day venue without a second thought that you might not be welcome after dark. It's years since I was at school in North Rigton, but in my memory the crag isn't actually in the farmyard. Maybe signs really are needed?
I've changed the access status to Restricted on the Almscliff crag page. Hopefully people will notice it.

Was it today they were climbing? There's an ascent of Underhand (f7B+) logged.
Post edited at 22:34
 3leggeddog 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Bad form that, the self righteous will be sharpening their pitch forks and hunting down the accused. Best to withdraw the accusation.
 Offwidth 29 Dec 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:

What pitchforks, this is the UK in 2016? Thanks for the update Paul.

When one of my UKC heros like deacondeacon is questioning the utility of the highly convenient RAD it should make me think 'wow' but the fact is its the same old sad story: we are, as a group, all too lackadasical when it comes to being properly informed, despite being really good at following advice when access problems are known. I have willfully trespassed on countless occasions (and will never stop) but would never break a known and BMC supported bird ban or lamplight at Almscliffe as the logic for such restrictions is clear for those who can be bothered to pay attention.

I think John was too soft on those climbers breaching Ring Ouzel restrictions based on a false CRoW argument... I would have gathered a mob for them if they refused to desist. CRoW rights are limited (including the right for restrictions and even a possibility that access could be withdrawn if problems become too serious)
 3leggeddog 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Ah, hero worship again.

Whilst Paul did not directly name and shame above, it only took a couple of clicks to discover who he was referring to. Someone who I won't name may be having to answer questioning, accusatory even threatening emails from other forum users. The sort who would "gather a mob".

I ask again that Paul removes his veiled accusation.
 Offwidth 29 Dec 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:
It depends on your mob's intent. Words are not pitchforks and mass peer pressure on the crag works with no needs for threats of violence (in my experience the physical threats are usually from the side of the sad perpetrators).

When you are a grown-up its possible to see heros without the need for worship: dd is a super keen friendly climber who is a great contributer to this site.
Post edited at 13:24
 wintertree 29 Dec 2016

Whoever it was should be made to solo Long Chimney by lamp light. Inside finish.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...