UKC

Homemade bacon update.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 29 Dec 2016
Following on from this thread:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=654093

I had a crack over the last couple of weeks & it’s turned out OK.

I used a 1.9kg loin joint and a cure of 30g/kg salt, 10g/kg sugar, 0.5g/kg saltpetre. There’s mixed info on adding the cure to the meat. Some say bung the lot on in one go, others say stick half on, leave 24hrs, pour off the liquid, add the rest of the cure & leave (I went down this route, giving it a further 3 days).

Any thoughts on whether or not the 2 strategies might influence the outcome?

I then muslin wrapped it & gave it 5 days hanging in the shed, plus a few hours outside on a breezy day to give it a bit of a dry.

All advice on the hanging to dry phase say “in a cool place”. Any thoughts on a max temp, as I may well want to try making some at other times of the year.

Also, advice is that the drying phase can’t be done in the fridge as they’re too humid. I thought fridges had quite a drying effect as the humidity condensed out on the cold rear of the fridge – hence the tray & drain for all the condensation.

Any thoughts?
Cheers
 MonkeyPuzzle 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

As long as there's plenty of air movement you should be fine. I've just done a rolled pancetta and that needed to be done somewhere 15-21°c and 50-60% humidity, so I hung it in the kitchen for 2 weeks and it's definitely not spoiled.
 aln 29 Dec 2016

You haven't told us the most important thing.
OP Chris Harris 29 Dec 2016
In reply to aln:

> You haven't told us the most important thing.

You haven't told me what it is.....
 Dax H 29 Dec 2016

> You haven't told me what it is.....

How's it taste?
 aln 29 Dec 2016

Dax H has the answer...
OP Chris Harris 30 Dec 2016
In reply to aln:

Nice.

Less salty than commercial bacon, milder flavour, doesn't shrink & doesn't leave the pan looking like it's been visited by Peter North.

Well worth the small amount of effort involved.

Belly next time, I think.
Phil Payne 30 Dec 2016

How are you slicing it? I'm about to take the plunge and start making my own, but worried I won't be able to slice it thin enough by hand.
 MonkeyPuzzle 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Phil Payne:

If you don't have a meat slicer, pop it in the freezer for fifteen minutes before you slice it. It should firm up and be easier to cut.
 Baron Weasel 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Phil Payne:

> How are you slicing it? I'm about to take the plunge and start making my own, but worried I won't be able to slice it thin enough by hand.

You need a Carpaccio knife, then it's easy!
OP Chris Harris 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Phil Payne:
> How are you slicing it? I'm about to take the plunge and start making my own, but worried I won't be able to slice it thin enough by hand.

I've been using a Global carving knife with a fresh edge on it. One of these:

http://globalknives.uk/classic/gf-37/

The main challenge is cutting a rasher with consistent thickness - all too easy to end up with something wedge shaped.

Also, been going for something rather thicker than your average commercial rasher, which helps.
Post edited at 22:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...