UKC

Padded shorts for a 10 day trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 imkevinmc 30 Dec 2016
Advice needed on what'll best protect my bits for a 10 day road trip. It's not arduous, just long
 Run_Ross_Run 30 Dec 2016
In reply to imkevinmc:

1 pair for ten days?

Personally i'd go for a couple of pairs (if possible) or wash the single pair every(other) day if you can. I find dirty shorts can make chafing etc worse.

Had a pair of Adidas bib shorts a few yrs back and they were really good. Have a pair of endura f260's now and they are the most comfortable i have ever worn.

Dont forget anti chaf balm, its a life saver.
 The Potato 30 Dec 2016
In reply to imkevinmc:

either endura, DHB from wiggle or hope bib shorts (eliminates pressure on the waist that shorts cause). Some form of cream can help, Sudocrem is quite good. Keep things dry or lubricated, mildy moist makes matters worse, chances are you arent going to have time to wash and dry your shorts so having a second pair might be an option to change to half way. Try and avoid a backpack or if its needed keep weight as low as possible.
 ClimberEd 30 Dec 2016
In reply to imkevinmc:

Whatever works best for you - should be tried and tested. If you can't test then look for shorts that have the fewest/most minimal seams.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that more padding=more comfort as this isn't the case. I race my long distance triathlons in shorts with a very thin pad as it dries quicker and makes running easier and I have never had any comfort problems.
In reply to imkevinmc:

If budget is no issue then look at Assos. DHB are highly rated for mid price range. Most decent brands make very good shorts, Castelli, Santini, Rapha etc etc. As others have said find what works well before your trip. Someone somewhere will tell you Aldi £20 shorts are great - ignore them. They're great for £20 but not comparable to 'proper' shorts

If you are able to wash and dry them every night then you may get away with one pair. If you are camping/bivying and this isn't possible then take 2 pairs and dry the washed pair by strapping to your seatbag/pannier during the day.

If you wear one pair continuously the pad will be a mess of nasty bacteria that will lead to saddle sores and general nastiness where you don't want it.

Some people swear by Chamois cream - again try before your trip. I'll use it if I know I can shower every night but I'll go really easy with it as a few days with no shower it can end up a bit unpleasant.

I've found Climb On creme to be good on saddle sores if they do appear.

Bike fit and saddle type and position are probably more important and the most expensive shorts won't help if you're in a bad position on your bike all day.
 gethin_allen 30 Dec 2016
In reply to imkevinmc:

Planet x clubman bib shorts are good value if you don't want to spend a fortune, if you want the best then you can spend £145 on some nice Assos short.

I use udderly smooth chamois cream if I'm going out for a long ride

You need to wear in a pair of padded shorts so get them a while before you go and ride them a load.

The same applies to your arse, you do seem to toughen up after a while so make sure you put in the miles before you go.
 The New NickB 30 Dec 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

I wonder what the difference between the £145 Assos shirts and £325 Assos shorts.

To the OP, I would definitely say 2 pairs for a 10 day trip and regular washing.

I've got Rapha, Castrelli and some Cannondale branded shorts (not sure who actually made them). They are all mid to highish end (Rapha) all are comfortable, the difference between the brands once you get to around the £100 mark is pretty much down to personal preference.
 TobyA 30 Dec 2016
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
> Someone somewhere will tell you Aldi £20 shorts are great - ignore them. They're great for £20 but not comparable to 'proper' shorts

20 quid sounds way too much for Aldi shorts! My performance range bib shorts I think were 16 and they are great. No arse issues on 200 km days.

OP, I've only done overnight bikepacking trips but clean shorts for day 2 is good. If it's a multi day trip try to wash out one pair daily if you can. I wear baggies over my cycling shorts when bikepacking, less self conscious when off the bike but I like some zip pockets for iPod, phone etc. With decent shorts underneath having baggies over causes me zero issues.
Post edited at 14:10
 gethin_allen 30 Dec 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> I wonder what the difference between the £145 Assos shirts and £325 Assos shorts.

Who knows, I wear the cheap planet X ones, and I've ridden 120 miles in them (the longest ride I've ever done in a day) without any issues

> I've got Rapha, Castrelli and some Cannondale branded shorts ...

Castrelli short don't sound to comfortable

Dave B 30 Dec 2016
In reply to ClimberEd:

I'm worth the Ed school myself of thin padding.

Tri shorts work very well for me upto about 100k, but I haven't done more than that in _Years_.

Wash each night and dry overnight.

Lots of padding dries too slow.

Brass Nipples 30 Dec 2016
In reply to imkevinmc:

Depends how far each day, padded shorts aren't compulsory to stay comfortable.
 Dave B 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

The crane brothers swore by (not at) m and s undies for their epic through Tibet!
Can't think of much worse myself.
 gethin_allen 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave B:

> The crane brothers swore by (not at) m and s undies for their epic through Tibet!

> Can't think of much worse myself.

When was this? M+S undercrackers have gone down hill in the last few years. Saying this, riding a long way on damp cotton is almost guaranteed to do you in.
 Dave B 30 Dec 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (with Richard Crane, 1987

I think. The journey was 1986. Is a bit vague now.
 BelleVedere 31 Dec 2016
In reply to imkevinmc:

for touring i prefere shorts over bibs. you do more clothing alteration (probably because you have more with you), and more toilet stops. also more relaxed position on the bike. Sometimes use a liner and baggies combination too... YMMV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...