UKC

Cheap Altitude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 30 Dec 2016
Where can I find some cheap Altitude travelling from the UK?
5-6ooo'ers, or 4900ers that go Solo, technically very easy, with simple permits and not a tonne of hoops to jump through.

Is this why Andy Kirk climbs in Patagonia? Permits are cheap and simple enough for a northern monkey to understand and organise? lol

d_b 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I think Andy K goes to Patagonia because the weather is horrible enough to make the experience entertainingly unpleasant.

Various central asian 'stans seem to be the place to go for quiet hills with reasonable altitude and stable weather. They tend to be pretty remote though so solo probably isn't a great idea.
 Greasy Prusiks 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I heard he goes to patagonia because he can't hack the crazy grades at stanage popular.
 d_b 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Climbing the compressor route free is nothing compared to leading the dreaded black hawk hell crack!
 jimtitt 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Saint Elias Range.
In reply to zimpara:

patagonia is not at altitude- torres del paine 2500-3000m, fitzroy range 3400m. bases at sea level, give or take

peru sounds like what you're looking for- cordillera blanca has easy to access peaks in the 5500-6700 range, though i think the easier ones are still PD and tend to be the lower ones in the range.

or volcanoes in peru/chile/bolivia? el misti is ? 5700m and a walk, licancabur about the same but much more remote, sajama/parinacota over 6300m. wouldnt fancy them solo but in a group? would be a special experience.

a bit of spanish definitely helps though

or what about kilimanjaro...

caveat- i've not actually climbed any of the above, but have trekked in/visited most of the areas mentioned and done a 5000m peak in the huayhuash with John Biggar of this parish- if you were seriously considering any south american objective, i think he probably knows more about the subject than anyone...
 Pedro50 30 Dec 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Kili is ideal for finding out about yourself at altitude but the need for park permits, guides and cooks makes it expensive comparatively. Fun though to be waited on hand and foot whilst contributing to the local economy.
 JJL 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

The issue with "cheap" is that there will be two components - the cost in country and the cost of getting there.

South America is very cheap on the former and quite expensive on the latter. Peru and Bolivia particularly. Bolivia has a number of volcanoes at 5-6000m that are walks; peru tends to be more climbing.

Africa really only has Kili (a bit standalone) and a small range around Mt Kenya - but Kenya is a rock climb and not one I'd solo.

The Pamirs are the nearest probably - reasonable flights and cheap on arrival.

Nepal is a bit more expensive to get to, and the regulations can be a faff - although I haven't been there for quite a while.

If you can afford it, I'd say nepal - Himalayan style climbing at acclimatisable altitudes in a fantastic country.
 Brass Nipples 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Ben Nevis is over 4,000 will that do?

SenzuBean 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Where can I find some cheap Altitude travelling from the UK?

This might be the best suited altitude travelling from the UK: https://www.balloonridesltd.co.uk/faq.htm

Billhook 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Ryanair do cheap altitude flights. And no puffing and panting on the way up.....
In reply to zimpara:

Again, it seems almost as if you're joking – that this is another Troll like your Flying Buttress epic. Given that Patagonia has some of the most difficult mountains and worst weather in the world (i.e. getting permits is just about the least of your problems).
 climberchristy 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Brilliant! Have (YET) another like!
 DerwentDiluted 01 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Bolivia has to be the place. La Paz airport is at just over 4000m. Just picking up your bag off the carousel is about sport 6A.
 Michael Hood 01 Jan 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

They tend to win all their home football matches because the other sides don't have long enough to acclimatize
OP zimpara 01 Jan 2017

HAHA that is the funniest thing I have ever read!

Thanks everyone, I have found cheap flights which was the only off putting thing about a denali trip.

Will be checking out the Saint Elias range, Bolivia and the Pamirs though for the future!
Cheers
 Brass Nipples 01 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Maybe you could send your CV to these people?

http://m.esa.int/About_Us/Careers_at_ESA/How_do_I_become_an_astronaut
 Greasy Prusiks 01 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Denali heh? Very jealous!

Have a fun (and safe) trip.
 Mick Ward 01 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> Thanks everyone, I have found cheap flights which was the only off putting thing about a denali trip.

Well cheap flights would be the only off putting thing, wouldn't they? < Involuntary shudder. Sorry, just can't help myself sometimes. >

There's a lovely lady down the road. She wears an ankle chain. Silver. < Sorry, mind's wandering again... > Anyway, about ten years ago, a mate of hers' went off to Denali. I gather crimping and wiggling his toes are no longer viable options. But at least he came back.

Please don't go.

Mick

cb294 01 Jan 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

I agree, nice and soloable: Just pick St Elias or Logan, drive up right to the Vertical limits-style base camps with bar and disco, and work your way to the summit from the top cable car station. Weather won't be a problem, a neighbouring summit is even called Mt. Fairweather.....

More seriously, I would love to do Sanford one day, as it is technically reasonably easy and requires an extremely cool 100km or so walk in from the Anchorage to Dawson highway (if you don't want to be flown in).

CB
 Brass Nipples 01 Jan 2017

> Bolivia has to be the place. La Paz airport is at just over 4000m. Just picking up your bag off the carousel is about sport 6A.

Flying baggage direct.
 jon 01 Jan 2017
> Bolivia has to be the place. La Paz airport is at just over 4000m. Just picking up your bag off the carousel is about sport 6A.

And therefore about gritstone Hard VDiff...
Post edited at 20:34
OP zimpara 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Anyway, about ten years ago, a mate of hers' went off to Denali.

Cool story but what did he ever do on Grit?

IainL 02 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Go to Les Houches and do 3-4 laps of Mt Blanc in a week. Then spend some time touring on Peru Bolivia Alti-plano followed by 2-3 laps of Aconcagua in a week. That should get you acclimatised to 12000-14000 feet altitude gain in a day. For a less strenuous trip, do running laps on Pikes Peak in Colorado, 3-4 a week. Mt Rainier or Mt Whitney from sea-level are easy 24 hour trips in a weekend.
OP zimpara 02 Jan 2017
In reply to IainL:

3-4 laps of gouter route... No chance! Urghhh lol
In reply to zimpara:

Cordillera Real in Bolivia ticks all your boxes: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=7442
Lusk 02 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> Thanks everyone, I have found cheap flights which was the only off putting thing about a denali trip.

Are you going for the winter or summer solo attempt of Denali?

Are your videos crap jokes like your forum posts as well? youtube.com/watch?v=YfAmuyI-7LA&
OP zimpara 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Are your videos crap jokes like your forum posts as well?
Basically, yes. And if you subscribe you can get an email when I upload a new video. Win Win.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCELiznebJIwUPyAa8_Fw5oA

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Cordillera Real in Bolivia ticks all your boxes: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=7442

That looks really brilliant! Cheers Dan. One for next year definitely!
 UKC Forums 02 Jan 2017
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Expedition & Alpine Mountaineering
Planning an overseas expedition or your first trip to the alps? Route and area info. Travel, logistics, bureacracy, equipment, etc.
More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
cb294 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Lusk:

This is a bit unfair, when the OP asked about Mont Blanc in similar detail they then went and ticked a rather impressive (for their supposed punter status) list of routes.

Granted, having to ask about soloable high altitude summits and coming up with Denali sounds a bit worrying.

CB
OP zimpara 02 Jan 2017
In reply to cb294:

Thanks for a nice message
In fairness I have posted looking for a Denali partner here http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=655868
As I am sure you know, ambitions and directions can change in a matter of seconds when planning trips.
Cheers

jon 02 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> Denali - May - Clued Up Partner Sought

Brilliant!
OP zimpara 02 Jan 2017
In reply to jon:

I am actually running at 2 likes to every dislike in that post, so it is a corker when compared to my usual standard!

(The exact opposite of this threads likes/dislikes.)
 Misha 02 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:
The main concern with Denali is the price of the flights? How much do you think the rest of it will cost? Park fee $365, double layer boots £550ish (or goodby toes), sufficiently warm sleeping bag, robust mountain tent, etc etc... The flights are the least of your worries financially, while the finances are the least of your worries if you're planning a solo ascent or going with someone similarly inexperienced at high altitude.

Have you read this official info from the national park, including the bit about solo climbers and the additional form they need to fill out?

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/mountainfaqs.htm

Do you think that with your minimal experience of high altitude climbing they will even let you go to base camp?
 Brass Nipples 02 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:
You will need gear that will keep you warm in temperatures that can dip below -40 degrees C, 100 mph winds, heavy snowfall, freezing rain, blazing sun. Furthermore, this gear needs to be capable of doing so for weeks at a time. Choosing what gear to bring and knowing what you need to survive the highly variable conditions on Denali is a big part of what you should be accomplishing in your climbing training and expedition apprenticeship leading up to Denali. On this and any expedition or technical endeavor, your gear is your life and it should be selected and maintained. You'll also need to shift heavy loads in a mountain environment so get training. It's not a day or even multi day trip. Expect to spend at least 3 weeks on the mountain if all goes well, longer if the weather is against you.

Do not believe the cost of your flights is the biggest worry. You're also going early season so temperatures may drop even lower.
Post edited at 23:06
 Misha 03 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> Cool story but what did he ever do on Grit?

Probably not much after that.
OP zimpara 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:

Settle down! I am not soloing Denali
OP zimpara 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate the lack of bullshit too
 Misha 03 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> Settle down! I am not soloing Denali

Good to hear that, although I hope that your partner(s) will be more experienced...
OP zimpara 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:
How about you stop thinking of me when you jerk off fanboy.

youtube.com/watch?v=zYxgupaW4Fw&
Post edited at 21:11
In reply to zimpara:

Oh dear. Would be best if you hit delete while you still can.
 Misha 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:
And your point is? You ask a sensible question and get some sensible suggestions. You then say that you want to do Denali which, while technically easy, is a serious proposition (particularly given the weather), requiring some expedition and high altitude experience (a bit more than an ascent of the Gouter - unless perhaps you're going with a guided group but doesn't sound like it), as welll as appropriate kit. You then suggest that the biggest concern is the cost of the flights, not the required skillset and kit. May be you happen to have access to the kit but, as far as I can tell, you have hardly any relevant experience. You also post asking for a partner and suggest that it's ok if they're inexperienced (perhaps that was a joke but it's hard to tell, as with most of your posts).

What do you expect people to think and say? My best advice would be to go with a guided group, with someone a lot more experienced or not at all. Otherwise you might end up wasting a lot of time and money, losing your extremities or dead.

Put it this way, I've done some big Alpine and Scottish winter routes yet I don't consider myself sufficiently experienced to try Denali, unless I'm with someone who has relevant expedition experience. It's a different skillset - from knowing how to acclimatise and plan the ascent to setting up camp and dealing with extreme weather. The logistics and practicalities are a hell of a lot more onerous than strolling up the Gouter! But I suppose you know better.

By the way, I don't know if that's your video, but if it is, what on earth is that loop of rope hanging off the harness?
 Steve Woollard 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Misha is definitely someone who can and should, and you're someone who can't and shouldn't.

And what is that dangling between your legs?
OP zimpara 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Zimpara:
Wolly

> And what is that dangling between your legs?

In reply to zimpara:

> What are you planning to do with these Spantiks?

Why do you ask so many questions if you are a know it all internet hotshot.

Why don't you get together at Mishas house, and you can both watch the video together and bounce ideas (or other things*) off eachother again and again until you get the great idea of freeze framing the video. And then you will see what it is.
Post edited at 10:59
 Oogachooga 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Wtf is that between your legs man?
 duchessofmalfi 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Oogachooga:

WTF is going on between his ears is the pertinent question!

But remember this is the man who videoed himself discovering the pacamac, (not just any old pacamac but an £50 artextryx one) so if anyone has doubt about his ability to get to 6000m safely be rest assured he has the kit.
 petestack 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:

> By the way, I don't know if that's your video, but if it is, what on earth is that loop of rope hanging off the harness?

Think it's feeding some kind of lead-climbing self-belay rig.
In reply to zimpara:
And then you will see what it is.

is it the remains of your dignity, hanging by a thread...?
Post edited at 15:43
 gavmac 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

You really are coming across as a complete arse. People won't be queuing up to go on expeditions with you if you continue to act like a numpty on here. Seriously, have some self awareness.
 Oogachooga 04 Jan 2017
Zimpara cant climb for pasties. Anyone else think he looks a bit fat to be doing all this?
 Tom Briggs 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Amazed at the number of recommendations for Bolivia. Great place to go but pretty much the most expensive place to fly to that I can think of!
Lusk 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Oogachooga:

> Zimpara can't climb for pasties.

Interesting article here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4016

No rock climbing involved so he should be OK?!

I wouldn't go within a 1000 miles of that mountain unless I was with at least 2 or 3 very experienced and very strong mountaineers!
 d_b 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Lusk:

I was asked if I wanted to have a pop at Denali 12 years ago. Decided against it for a few of reasons. Time, money, lack of experience etc. all came into it but you can find solutions to most of those given a year or so.

The thing that made me finally decide I wasn't going was asking the much more experienced organiser what I needed in the way of cold weather gear. His answer in full: "It'll be alright Dave!".

Nope!
OP zimpara 04 Jan 2017
In reply to gavmac:
I Don't want people queuing up to go and Climb Denali with me. I want that 'one' guy, who is the opposite to half of you total arseholes.

Post edited at 18:22
OP zimpara 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Oogachooga:

It's not the pasties that make me fat, it's all the scran that your nan feeds me.

Full natty brah?
Lusk 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> I want that 'one' guy.

Which pill did you choose?

DaveHK 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> I Don't want people queuing up to go and Climb Denali with me. I want that 'one' guy, who is the opposite to half of you total arseholes.

When you meet him you'll just know. I wish you both much happiness.
OP zimpara 04 Jan 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> When you meet him you'll just know. I wish you both much happiness.

haha Well I f*cked that right up!

FactorXXX 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

I Don't want people queuing up to go and Climb Denali with me. I want that 'one' guy, who is the opposite to half of you total arseholes.

I initially thought your thread was about 'Cheap Attitude'.
Maybe I was right...
 Hat Dude 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> I Don't want people queuing up to go and Climb Denali with me.

Believe me, there won't be any queue
 DaveHK 04 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> haha Well I f*cked that right up!

I couldn't pass up a line like that.
 Misha 05 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:
Ok, so you're rope soloing. Not a technique I'm familiar with and I'm happy to admit that. I get the principle of how to rope solo with a gri gri type device but haven't come across the extra loop before, which is what was confusing me and a few other people. Presumably the ropeman type device attached to the loop is there as a back up. It's not that easy to work out what's going on from the video.

Your aggressive and offensive responses aren't really doing you any favours.

Good suggestion though, next time I come across Woolly, which happens now and then, we'll have a look at some of your videos if we need some entertainment. He's an experienced MIA by the way.
OP zimpara 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:
> Wolly- He's an experienced MIA by the way.

Oh is he now.

A piece of paper doesn't mean shit.

I would have thought he and you would know what a ropeman is with all this experience, and theoretically what orientation the ropeman is on the rope. You can see me pulling rope through it FFS! So it isn't rocket science.

If it is holding the weight of slack off the grigri, then you would easily know that it is NOT a backup, because the ropeman is allowing rope to slide the WRONG way to act as one, but rather a means of keeping weight off the grigri to stop it jamming when you need slack. Copyright of Zimpy!

I'll make you and Wolly a Ropeman tutorial so you are never unsure again.
Post edited at 09:48
 gavmac 05 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Liking your own post again I see...

A piece of paper, in this context, does mean shit. It means hundreds of days on the hill skilling up, leading and guiding people. MIA's, MIC's etc are worth listening to. Don't let me stop you though - you're kind of entertaining in a Donald Trump meets hemorrhoids sort of way.
OP zimpara 05 Jan 2017
In reply to gavmac:
> Liking your own post again I see...

No, I think that was one of the soloists on the forum who looks at that post as if I have just discovered fire!

Edit*
Maybe Wolly could take Misha out and show him how to use a ropeman. Oh wait, Wolly is confused too.

And don't think that I am bashing MIAs. I am sure Wolly is very proud indeed. if I was to say one thing, it would be that his people skills are somewhat Rudimental.
Post edited at 11:27
In reply to zimpara:
I was to say one thing, it would be that his people skills are somewhat Rudimental.

my irony-meter just melted...
Post edited at 11:37
Removed User 05 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Dear Zimpy.

Could you please remove the "Bivvy at Stanage" photo in your gallery? You look like a slightly older and fatter version of me, and I don't want anyone to get us mixed up.

Kind regards

B
OP zimpara 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Here is a tip for anyone else who bares a passing resemblance to me- DO NOT go to Stanage. you are Infamous after your HVD exploits.
Removed User 05 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

It's ok, I've never been to Stanage, or climbed a HVD, whatever that is.
 planetmarshall 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed User:

> It's ok, I've never been to Stanage, or climbed a HVD, whatever that is.

It's about 6a French.
 Misha 05 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Thanks for explaining. As I said, I'm not familiar with rope soloing techniques and certainly haven't come across this particular version before. I do know what a ropeman is but that doesn't mean I can easily figure out what function it serves in your video. Rope soloing is a pretty niche skillset and many experienced climbers don't know much about it because they don't do it themselves.
 Misha 05 Jan 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

If it's on grit. Otherwise it's a bit harder than a technical scramble.
 jon 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:

> If it's on grit. Otherwise it's a bit harder than a technical scramble.

Looks like you might have missed this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=655210&v=1#x8459157
 Misha 05 Jan 2017
In reply to jon:
Saw that, I was trying to pick up on planetmarshall's joke but perhaps not very well.
Post edited at 22:43
OP zimpara 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:
I corrected him this morning, saying that you were joking/ripping the absolute piss out of me! But I deleted it.
It does go over some helpful souls heads this sarcasm business... Ironic
Post edited at 23:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...