UKC

Do I need salopettes etc?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 4D6174 30 Dec 2016
Going skiing with family for the first time in Feb (France) with some lessons booked. Do I need to be going out and buying a jacket and insulated trousers?

For winter climbing I wear merino leggings underneath a pair of TNF hard shells; there're not insulated but pretty hard wearing with three layers to them. On top I've got the usual assortment to choose from of thin & thick fleeces, body warmer, thin insulated jacket, soft shell, hard shell depending on conditions. Never usually feel cold.

I was thinking of just taking my winter climbing kit or do you reckon I'll need some skiing specific stuff? Maybe get cold during the morning lessons, or will I appreciate the padding when falling over? Was thinking I might get a cheap pair of salopettes, take them with the label on and return if not used.

Any advice appreciated.

d_b 30 Dec 2016
In reply to 4D6174:
They aren't essential but they can make your life nicer.

Thick insulated leggings under water resistant walking trousers will keep you warm. Rab do some nice ones that aren't too expensive.

Where the salopettes come into their own is when you inevitably fall over and snow goes up under your jacket, but if you have a snow skirt in your waterproof or a draw cord on your soft shell it shouldn't be a massive deal.

I would add that unless you hit something or are unlucky with your skis falling over usually doesn't hurt that much, so the padding angle shouldn't be a big deal.
Post edited at 13:35
 minimike 30 Dec 2016
In reply to 4D6174:

You'll be fine. I've skied for 10 years without any ski specific clothing until I bought some padded ski trousers in tkmaxx for 40 quid. only thing I'd advise is don't wear your new goretex waterproof trousers as you will slice them up on your edges when you fall (and as a beginner you will fall!) use an old heavy pair if you have some. I just wore cheap thermals and powerstretch underneath..

As for the top half just standard base, thin fleece(s) and hard shell, although soft would be fine.

Mostly I was too hot if anything. Open chairlifts are cold in Feb.. no way round it.

Mike
 d_b 30 Dec 2016
In reply to minimike:

Nothing quite like being on a windy chairlift that keeps stopping. I carry a spare balaclava and mitts to put on just for the chair.
 Sophie G. 30 Dec 2016
In reply to 4D6174:

if it works in a storm on the Cairngorm plateau, it's going to work in sunshine at Tignes
 Sophie G. 30 Dec 2016
In reply to 4D6174:

One thing I would say, though: wear a helmet when you ski. Remember Michael Schumacher. I've changed my own behaviour since that very sad accident of his.
 pwo 30 Dec 2016
In reply to 4D6174:
I've skied happily just wearing mountaineering specific clothing and over trousers for over 50 years with no issues. I'm more than happy with my Royal Robin trousers and whatever over trousers Are still serviceable . Never really had any issues with snow migrating where it shouldn't. Enjoy your holiday. However be warned .... Skiing can be become addictive
 minimike 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Sophie G.:

To be fair if it works on Cairngorm I wouldn't wear more than half of it in tignes in the sunshine!

M
OP 4D6174 30 Dec 2016
In reply to 4D6174:

OK, thanks all. I'll just take the stuff I have then, what I was leaning towards anyway. My hard shell trousers are probably 10 years old so not worried if they get (even more) battered. Will hire a helmet locally along with the skis and boots.
 kevin stephens 30 Dec 2016
In reply to 4D6174:

one very useful and low cost extra is a fleecy buff to wear around your neck when it's cold, which you can lift over your face when stuck in a freezing wind on a stuck chairlift
OP 4D6174 30 Dec 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:
Santa sorted me out with one
 Brass Nipples 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Sophie G.:

> One thing I would say, though: wear a helmet when you ski. Remember Michael Schumacher. I've changed my own behaviour since that very sad accident of his.

He was wearing a helmet and it made no difference.
 Roguevfr 27 Jan 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> He was wearing a helmet and it made no difference.

I'm led to believe he was wearing a camera on his helmet which punctured the helmet causing the injury (may be conjecture) however. had he not be wearing the helmet he would almost certainly be dead.

I skied for the first time wearing a helmet last year, I was taking lessons which stretched my capabilities somewhat, and I fell at least once each day. I did notice that in almost every occasion i was at some stage moving downhill, on my back and head downhill. I will NOT ski without one now .

In regard to the OP, salopettes can be had from ebay for literally a few pounds, they are one of the few remaining categories in which a ridiculous bargain can still be had. Buy, use, resell or ditch. I'd rather do that that than risk cutting slices into an expensive pair of goretex overtrousers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...