UKC

Conquering Mount Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 30 Dec 2016
Over the last 55 years I have been up Snowdon over 50 times using almost all recognised routes and a few non standard routes. I been up in all weather conditions from still summer days to heavy rain to heavy winter snow and ice conditions, in visibility from clear to thick cloud/fog to white outs, and once at night.

Yet in all those years I realise that I have never travelled up on the railway, although I have slid down sections of the track on slates in my early irresponsible days.

How many UKCers can say they've actually ridden up on the train?
 Rob Naylor 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Nope, not me. Been up many times by various routes too, but never even considered the train, either up or down.

Never slid down the track on a slate either....something I'm sure I'd have tried if my first ascent had been in my less responsible period!
 Doug 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I've been up on the train, but I was something like 6 or 7 years old on a family holiday
 JIMBO 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Never and for £37 I'll keep walking up!
 Sophie G. 30 Dec 2016
In reply to JIMBO:

£37??? Blimey. Do you get to keep the train for that?
 The Potato 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:
never have never will, not unless its in my urn to be scattered

Ive yet to climb any of the routes either, but intend to, fingers crossed for some snow this winter too. I do however very much enjoy running/ambling along crib goch to pop out near the summit in shorts amidst confused heavily clad walkers
Post edited at 18:10
In reply to Trangia:

No, and I have no intention of ever doing so either.

Have climbed it by just about all conceivable main routes except via a climb on Lliwedd (glaring omission). I suppose I could get someone, e.g. my brother, to take me with my failing eyesight up that highly rated Moderate on the West Buttress ...
 Brass Nipples 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I've driven up the railway route, does that count?

Bulls Crack 30 Dec 2016
In reply to JIMBO:

How about roof surfing? Anyone done that?
 andrewmc 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Fortunately there are still more people walking up than getting the train.
In reply to Trangia:
I used to walk with a couple of mates who were also railway fans and we did lots of walking in Wales using railways as a start or return element.
None of us had ever ridden on the Snowdon railway so we contrived a route that used the railway to get to the Halfway Station, we then walked round the base of Cloggy to pick up the col where the Ranger path arrives then we did Moel Cynghorion, Feol Goch, Moel Elio and back to Lanberis. It made a great day out.
In reply to Trangia:

I will raise you on that, 102 times in 25 yrs plus some before that which I have not logged. (10 times this year). I am not sure I have ever conquered it though, there is always a new challenge for next time.

I also have never used the train, closest I came was after the Welsh 1000 m race which finishes on the summit, but fortunately my mate brought me to my senses and we both jogged down.
 DancingOnRock 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Excellent post.

I've probably only done it a dozen times now.

A few years ago we went to Snowdonia for Easter Holiday. I wanted to take the kids up to the snow line. The Mrs spent 5 days protesting and asking if we could take the train. I point blank refused but eventually agreed.

So we turned up, paid £10 to park, then stood in the hall. Family ticket was something like £80. At this point Mrs had realised her mistake but too late, she'd pushed me, so paid the fare, still full fare but train was only going halfway due to snow.

We went up to the Halfway station. Got out, threw some snow balls, built a snowman and got back in the train.

At this point they announced that the train coming up the hill had broken down and there would be a wait while another train came up and retrieved it.

I think we sat on the train waiting for two hours to get down. By which time it was dark.

So. No. I've never been to the top on the train.
 Climbingspike 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:
Came to live near Llanberis in 1976. As others, have done all possible routes up in all weathers, never counted but must be around 200 times.
I have however descended via the train once. The brakeman, a friend of mine offered me and my mate a ride down. The only snag, we had to be off the train before reaching the station. Above the waterfalls is a bend where the train has to slow down, this was our point of exit. Jumping off a moving train is quite an exciting moment, of all my descents of Snowdon this is truly the only one I remember.
My old friend, Bill Sutherland of the MMC always used to call it our Butch and Sundance day.
 toad 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia: I did the train as a young boy. I was obsessed with trains (cf flying Scotsman, which I legged it up from home to the Manchester Liverpool line to see around the same time). It. Was. Ace!

wilkesley 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Went up with my parents circa 1960. Many subsequent ascents of Snowdon, but none of the train. I avoid it now because of the crowds. My last visit was in the winter of 1985? when I soloed all the routes in the old Rick Newcombe guide.
 bouldery bits 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I have been up by train with a family member with a snapped ankle which seems a reasonable excuse to me.

Coffee at the top wasn't up to much though.
 Brass Nipples 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

And you haven't really conquered Snowdon have you? It's not there to be conquered.

Wainers44 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Nope not me. Started the Welsh 3000s at midnight from there, drunk whisky at sunset on a stag night after 24hrs with no sleep looking west from there, even carried a dear friend up there in a wheelchair using broom handles and washing line...but never caught the train there...
 gethin_allen 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I see little point in using the train when it's such a trivial little lump of mountain to walk up.

I cycled up it a few years back, it took about 90 mins iirc and then 15 mins back down to the roads. That was fun, I just wish I'd had my GPS with me so I could have put it on strava.
 Mark Kemball 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> And you haven't really conquered Snowdon have you? It's not there to be conquered.

Knowing Trangia's previous posts, I suspect the title was more than somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
 d_b 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

You can't really conquer a mountain until there is a train up more than one side and the summit looks like Birmingham New Street.
 poppydog 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Yep been up scores of times via different routes in different seasons, conditions and time of day (went through a phase of night ascents and a bivvy on the summit) but never used the train. Best ever day was about 12 years ago: did the horseshoe with my labrador in deep (ish) snow and perfect blue sky. I took my parents up via Crib Goch a few years back and my wife took the kids up on the train, but never been myself.
 Brass Nipples 31 Dec 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> You can't really conquer a mountain until there is a train up more than one side and the summit looks like Birmingham New Street.

And how many have conquered Birmingham New Street? Far fewer suspect, most are tamed by it.
In reply to Trangia:

I always wanted to take the train up with my parents, to show them a glimpse of what I see when I go into the hills. But I've left it too late; my mum passed away before we got round to doing it. I regret not taking the chance while we could.

Maybe I'll still take my dad; but the kids- they're coming up via crib Goch...
llechwedd 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

If some passenger complaints are to be taken seriously, to have conquered Mount Snowdon by train, you need to have seen the 1085m cliff from the summit.

My wife tells me that there are some passengers who, having completed the round trip, head straight for the booking office in Llanberis. There, they demand a refund on the basis that they didn't see anything when they got off at the top.
A bit like the faked moon landing, I suppose....
 Sean Kelly 01 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

We once had a free ticket to go up on the train, valid for a month I recall and...never even used it!
 Neil Williams 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Not yet got round to doing it on the train. Which for me (given my affinity for that mode of transport) is quite odd.
 Keendan 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Yes I have!

3rd day of our honeymoon, and my wife was recovering from a road traffic accident, so she was unfit to walk.

Slow journey and too noisy to have a conversation. The buzz of being Newlyweds just about making up for the expensive ticket. It was fun to be standing on the summit while dressed for the highstreet.

Nice to see that we've accomplished a route very few rock climbers achieve.
Post edited at 16:31
 LastBoyScout 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

First climbed it via the Ranger trail with my Dad and Grandpa aged about 6 - all I wanted at the top was a sausage sandwich :-D

Have been up several times since by various routes, including mountain bike, but not the train.

My wife has been up by train, but she was pregnant at the time, so I'll let her off.
In reply to Trangia:

I seem to remember climbing it 3 times one winter day back in the 70's. I climbed up RH Trinity, Cave, and ladies gullies, descending via Central Trinity each time. I really don't understand this talk of conquering a mountain. And as for the slate on the railway track - tried it, didn't work. You need the special piece of slate that Whillans had.
 zimpara 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I climbed up Mount Snowdon once. I begged my way onto the train with a limp and a cough that I was putting on. So theoretically have used a train, but didn't pay for it.
Quite a mammoth effort required to get up to the top!
 annieman 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Yes, Ive been UP twice. But only as part of the anual 3 peak litter pick. We ride up on the staff train to the top then litter pick on the way down.

Tip: if you ever do take the train up make sure that you are facing uphill.

Am I forgiven?
 zimpara 07 Jan 2017
In reply to annieman:

Isn't going uphill in the train cheating?
DragonsDoExist 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:
I have! But with the inlaws. So surely forgiven?
I have walked/run/climbed/scambled my way to the top many a times being a llanberis resident
Post edited at 21:32
OP Trangia 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> And you haven't really conquered Snowdon have you? It's not there to be conquered.

I'll have you know that I've not only conquered Mount Snowdon, but also Mount Ben Nevis, Mount Tryfan, Mount Scafell Pike, Mount Kinder, Mount Ivinghoe Beacon and countless other British mountains and hills!

How dare you suggest that Mount Snowdon is not there to be conquered!!
 wercat 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I don't believe you!

If Julius Caesar didn't conquer Snowdon then who are you to claim it? And he had legions of followers!
 d_b 12 Jan 2017
In reply to wercat:

Julius Caesar and the Roman Empire couldn't conquer the blue sky either.
OP Trangia 12 Jan 2017
In reply to wercat:

> I don't believe you!

> If Julius Caesar didn't conquer Snowdon then who are you to claim it? And he had legions of followers!

When Caeser discovered that there was no railway up it in those days he shrugged and spoke the immortal words

"Veni, Vidi, Perdidi"
 leon 1 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia: Then he went shopping in Llanberis
Veni, Vidi, Visa

wercat 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:
I think the Yeti attempted it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28741299

Interesting outdoor gear on display - I can remember it on sale in Gaynors well into the 80s, a bit uncomfortable. I can remember being issued it at Kishorn and wondering if I was more comfortable in it or just getting soaked on site.

come to think of it wasn't Fu-Manchu based there?
Post edited at 11:46
 Offwidth 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

This thread is all a bit snobbish. Let people enjoy themselves for what they are and what they like to do. It's great to lucky enough to appreciate mountains from a climbing perspective but there is no need for Cleese/Barker/Corbett sketch style snidery.
 DancingOnRock 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Where is this snobbish snidely?

Can you quote one of the posts, I can't see one myself.
 Offwidth 12 Jan 2017
In reply to DancingOnRock:

People who use the train, people who conquer the mountain, 'trivial little lump of a mountain', the fact you can't even see this......

If you talk to people up there, some of them are gushing about the journey up on the train (train freaks or those just amazed one can go up such steep hills in such a way) and being on top of a mountain (some of whom probably don't have the ability to walk up). Now mountaineers, if any group should understand the headyness of being up there, instead of smiling, are looking down on them cos they cheated, or worse as some imply, they are mostly underwhelmed littering chavs who might be about to complain about being ripped off
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I climbed Snowdon when I was at school 1962, we were not the first as we saw footprints in the snow!

DancingOnRock 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

One poster used the term 'trivial lump of a mountain', the rest, is clearly your imagination.
 Brass Nipples 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

You'll be conquering Llanberis high street next

FactorXXX 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Well and truly conquered: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38611497
OP Trangia 13 Jan 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Well and truly conquered: -

I'll bet he never went up Snowdon even if it is reputed that he "went up" loads of others of both sexes apart from Princess Margaret
 Brass Nipples 13 Jan 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Well and truly conquered: -

So Trangia came up Snowdon 50 times is the correct term.
OP Trangia 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Ha ha! Touche
OP Trangia 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Ha ha! Touche
 FactorXXX 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

So Trangia came up Snowdon 50 times is the correct term.

Mount Snowdon today Trangia?
I think so, will be my fiftieth time.
Up the miners?
Probably...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...