UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Interstellar Spice with Tim Emmett & Klemen Premrl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Dec 2016
Interstellar Spice, 3 kbIn February this year, Tim Emmett and Slovenian climber Klemen Premrl established a remarkable new line at Helmcken Falls in Canada, which the pair named Interstellar Spice. The climb was described by Tim as "by far the hardest, longest and coolest single pitch ice climb either of us have done before."

A video consisting of GoPro shots has been released of their ascent...

Read more
 stp 31 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Two things I particularly liked about this. Firstly they narrated the film. Not loads but enough at least to give a basic outline and and bring the viewer closer to the climbers. So many film makers seem to think it's cool to have no words for some reason. That can work occasionally (like in Slow Moments) but mostly a bit of human voice here and there would greatly improve many climbing shorts.

Secondly the music wasn't overdone. It was mostly in the background and supported the the video rather than just being added because the film maker couldn't think what else to do or want to play their favourite track.
 nufkin 31 Dec 2016
In reply to stp:

The axe-mounted cameras are a nice touch as well
 stp 02 Jan 2017
In reply to nufkin:

Indeed. A unique perspective.
 Henry Iddon 02 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Nice van as well.
 nufkin 02 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Six dislikes so far, to my surprise - do they not like the film, or not agree with the grading?
 GrahamD 03 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Not sure how this was done, there seemed to be a lot of in situ quick draws - were these placed earlier in the season ?
 Wry Gob 03 Jan 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

Graham I think basically it's a total mission to locate and unearth the bolts each year as obviously the ice forms in different places, and the eventual ascent is a red point? Not exactly your average 'sport climb' though!

I liked this wee film - gave a proper sense of what's involved, which I'd never really seen before.

Cheers, Guy
 GrahamD 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Wry Gob:

Not obvious how on earth you would go about equipping (as in fitting the quick draws) the line like this, which might have been equally as entertaining as the climb itself - especially if the ice really was as dodgy as suggested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...