UKC

Getting married in Sardinia, need climbing advice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
First time Glasweigian poster here, Going to Sardinia (Olbia) in July to get hitched with my Sardinian fiance. Can't really afford the Pietra di Luna book at the moment so I was wondering if you guys had any advice or routes suggestible to a climber of 2 years who has no trad experience but would like to taste some scorching outdoor sport routes.
I can flash 6a /+ lead routes and can top 6b/+ routes with a few rests along the way. As can the 2 climbing partners coming along.
Going to do an outdoor course when the this winter misery eventually melts away but I'd like to plan something really cool to work towards in the meantime so anything you guys have fire it yonder!

Thanks in advance

Sean
 Fatclimber 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Terminaldystopia:

First bit of advice would be to add the guidebook to the gift list. Second is more a question, where exactly are you going. I know the area around Cala Fuilli well and that would suit your needs,but it is 2 hrs out from Olbia.
 JLS 31 Dec 2016

Really! You got permission to mix a wedding and climbing? You are going to go down well with the new in-laws.
In reply to Fatclimber:
Excellent! Not too far away at all dude, also part of Cala Gonone too which I've heard is a good spot for sport routes.

What about Aguglia?
Never tried any multi pitch stuff so not sure how easy it would be transferring the skills needed to do one of those big boys safely.
Thanks for getting back to me and Happy New Year!
Post edited at 12:52
 Fatclimber 01 Jan 2017

If that is do-able there is a Cala Gonone guidebook which is cheaper and easy to use than the Pietra di Luna. Plenty of single or multi pitch in that area. Haven't been to Aguglia so can't comment on that.

Happy New Year and good luck with the wedding!
JB_80 02 Jan 2017
Hi Sean,
The area around Cala Gonone has plenty of sectors and you can easily avoid the now polished climbs in Fuili. You can otherwise go to Ulassai, which is surrounded by freshly bolted sectors. Or Domusnovas in the south.

If you want to explore you will definitely need the guide book and a car to move around. Do not expect public transport to take you to the crags.

Also, in total honesty I would recommend you lower your aims. Flashing 6a in the gym is not the same as leading a 6a outdoor. This is paramount if you want to approach a multipitch. We have the Soccorso Alpino (alpine rescue team) on constant call for people with no experience who get stuck in the middle of a big wall. Give yourself an easy start and avoid multipitch if you are not sure you can do it
Post edited at 08:51
 Yanis Nayu 02 Jan 2017

Won't it be too hot in July for climbing? I was in Cala Gonone in early August and it was in the late 30s every day. Didn't see anyone climbing at all.
In reply to JB_80:

Yeah, safety is paramount on this trip, can't be showing up to my wedding with broken eye sockets! Luckily we have people over there who own cars and boats so transport shouldn't be a problem.

I'll be investing in that book for sure though
Thanks for the reply
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yeah it will probably be scorching, I was there in August too and it was rather warm. Never climbed in the sun before, what are the main things to ease the process other than plenty of water and sun cream? I'm guessing the rock gets hot but is it hot to the point of pain?
 Skyfall 02 Jan 2017

Get some really really comfy rock shoes as your feet will swell up in the heat and normal snug rock shoes will cripple you. Other than that, plenty of sun cream, and try to look for shady crags (work out which face in which direction etc) and climb early/late when it's cooler.
 Toerag 03 Jan 2017
Went there for my Honeymoon at the end of May/start of June and yes, it was hot then. We'd climb in the mornings then have lunch then a swim in the afternoons.
Aside from the suggestions above, I'd recommend the Ferrata De Cabriol at Capo Caccia. There's some sport routes close by, but we didn't climb there. Grades in the south east (Olbia) were no giveaway, plenty of vertical-ish stuff on small holds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...