UKC

Innsbruck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tingle 01 Jan 2017
Going for only a weekend in March due to work stuff. So looking for any information on the best slopes and convenient cheap ish hotels. Also is there a free ski shuttle service? Any other advice is apreciated Thanks
 Martin Bennett 01 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:

There's a free bus service from Innsbruck bus station to the various nearby ski areas. Takes from say half hour to an hour depending on your choice of resort. There are many ski areas within reach, the best of which include Axamer Lizum and Kuhtai as well as the Stubai glacier with ski-ing to 3000m. It's a very long time since I skied there so any advice about the ski-ing would be dated, but we used the bus service last summer so I can vouch for that. No idea about Innsbruck hotels, sorry.
 beh 01 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:

I stayed in Gotzens skiing the year before last, between Muttereralm and Axamer Lizum. There's a free bus connecting the 2 ski areas and the Gotznerbahn every 30 mins or so and looks like there's a bus from Innsbruck every hour - http://www.axamer-lizum.at/de/winter/gratis-skibus.html

Was surprised how near to the airport/Innsbruck it was (0 mins in a taxi), a nice change from the usual 2hr+ coach transfers from Geneva. Spent most of the week at Axamer Lizum which is a bit further along and up. At the end of the day there's a handy traverse piste that links you back to the Muttereralm side so you can ski back to Gotzens rather than get the bus.

https://goo.gl/photos/NMPA5LhrFxD9RBJs6
 IPPurewater 02 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:

There is the Dresdener Hutte, which is situated near the top of the first lift, at the end of the Stubaital.

I don't know about any hotels, but perhaps you could search for the tourist information for Innsbruck, Neustift, Kuhtai etc.

http://www.dresdnerhuette.at/en/dresdner-huette/opening-times/

Details of public transport etc are on this website.

Kimberley 02 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:

Khutai is easy to get to and has a roadside AAC hut http://www.dortmunderhuette.at/#home

The skiing there is excellent.
 tjekel 02 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:

in the city, one of the cheapest places and reasonably central is Technikerhaus ... less than 40€ including breakfast, walking distance from the city center.
OP tingle 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Great stuff my other half is a beginner would you recommend stubai ?
OP tingle 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Kimber

looks really good im a member too but the slopes look too hard for my other half i think! thanks though
OP tingle 03 Jan 2017
In reply to IPPurewater:

Thanks Stubaital looks like the place for us even if the bus is an hour long!
 jonnie3430 03 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:

We were there in March of last year and stayed in the technikerhaus while we waited for better weather.

We had a half day at Fulpmes, which was nice, the tree skiing saved the day as there was fairly thick cloud, another day we took the train to St Anton, which was big and fun. When the cloud lifted we headed up to Stubaier Gletscher, which was big and fun for the morning, before we went over the back to the Ambergerhutte.

The suggestion of staying a night in the dresdner hutte is an interesting one if you wanted a memorable night or two? The station at Innsbruck has different size lockers where kit can be left for a few days instead of keeping a hotel room.

I thought the stiftskeller was the best food, the imperial hofburg the best museum and the alpenzoo interesting.
OP tingle 03 Jan 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Yeah its the lack of time there thats really constricting my options massively because of work we land 9 am Saturday and leave Sunday 5:30 . my girlfriend who doesn't ski booked the trip as a Christmas present thinking we could ski most of the day Saturday but now looking at it, it doesn't look that possible.
 David Bennett 03 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:

Stubai is fine for a beginner provided that you can handle drag lifts. Lots of blues high up. You need to plan your final runs well or you or you could end up on a steepish red (piste 3) to get back to the gondola. Perfectly possible to avoid that though. Have fun. Agree Khutai can be a bit steep for a beginner.
OP tingle 03 Jan 2017
In reply to David Bennett:

have you ever skied Patscherkofel? its much closer to innsbruck and fits the bill for beginners
In reply to tingle:

Unfortunately not. Skied Axamer, Mutters, Stubai, and Khutai in the close Innsbruck vacinity. Of all of those I think Axamer fits best for a beginner (and is really close the airport)
OP tingle 03 Jan 2017
In reply to David Bennett:

oh really? theres only one blue route and i saw comments about it being more like a red. Thanks
In reply to tingle:
There are 2 long blues, one on each side of the resort. Think it's runs 1 and 9 but don't have a map to hand. Neither is too steep but piste 1 is quite long. The reason I suggested the place is there is a very good nursery slope / blue which is much longer and a bit steeper than normal nursery slopes and quite useful just to lap that to build some confidence.
 jonnie3430 04 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:

Maybe have a look at Fulpmes, ( sorry; schlick2000!) Should be good for a half day on blues and is close to Innsbruck? Google maps has more blue piste than the piste map.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...