/ printer problem - stripy pics?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Potato - on 02 Jan 2017
once more I seek the ukc collective wisdom
Ive a printer (canon mp560) which in the past has been trouble free but as of late it prints stripes on images. I tried the usual print head cleaning and alignment tests which were fine, tried different programs (word, photoshop) but still persisted so I bought a new print head, but still the same. Ive linked to a scanning of a print to show the issue.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/bechdan/Image1.jpg~original

Duncan Bourne - on 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Pesda potato:

I take it that you have checked ink levels?

Another possiblitiy is that the ink resevoir is full. When the heads are cleaned the ink used goes into a resevoir. Over time this fills up and affects the ability for the heads to be cleaned properly
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
Ok but as I said the head is new
Post edited at 19:05
BnB - on 02 Jan 2017

Either your printer needs calibration or you should pass the corona wire on the drum back and forth.

If neither works, buy a new printer. They're almost free when you consider the price of a new drum & toner.
poppydog on 02 Jan 2017

I had this with my work printer and it turned out to be using non-OEM print cartridges. Once I changed back to the manufacturer's it was fine. Not saying it's the same but worth considering if you're using non-OEM.
In reply to poppydog:

hmm ok thats a fair point, ill try that next

In reply to BnB:

I dont think my printer has a corona wire? certainly nothing I could find online for the canon anyway, perhaps something from older printers
Paul Hy - on 02 Jan 2017

yup, poppydog beat me to it. yeah defo use an OEM cart. i know they're more expensive but they'll do the job properly.
Luke90 on 02 Jan 2017

Corona wires are on laser printers. Yours is an inkjet.
Duncan Bourne - on 02 Jan 2017

It isn't the head but the reservoir that the ink goes into seperate thing
Lion Bakes on 02 Jan 2017

Stop wearing stripy jumpers in your photos!

The Potato - on 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
Yes I understood that but its purpose is to clean the head, the new head is clean

OEM ink on its way, better work or it's £25 bye bye!
Post edited at 08:39
The Potato - on 06 Jan 2017

UPDATE

genuine ink arrived today, tried, no change
deep clean x2 no change
Manual Print head alignment no change

Heres another scan of the poor print, can somebody help me please!
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/bechdan/Image1_1.jpg~original

Dell on 06 Jan 2017

Uninstall/reinstall.
The Potato - on 08 Jan 2017

poop, no change. any more ideas please?
Climbing Pieman on 08 Jan 2017
Have you changed your paper just before this happened, or had even say had a major room cleanup near the time or regularly use sprays near the printer? Could it be a problem with the paper if recently new? If still the same old (previously good) batch though could something may have happened to it (heat/cold/damp, dirt/dust, fingerprint oils, other "contamination" say aerosol sprays of perfume/polishes/etc, etc?

Only once had a Canon printer and it was very susceptible to paper problems and regularly produced examples of what your photos. I used to always cover the printer over when not using it to stop any dust, furniture polish sprays etc getting near it. Kept only a small batch of paper in the printer itself and the rest covered at all times. Seemed to help at the time.
Jim C - on 08 Jan 2017

What a pain, all I can suggest is have you recently changed paper, or selected the wrong paper type in the set up?

( nice dimples;)
mattrm - on 08 Jan 2017

> poop, no change. any more ideas please?

It's a cheap inkjet that's just what happens to them after a while. You may find there's an 'ink pad' inside the machine. If you can find that and replace that, it might help. Also there's probably some gunk or similar inside the rollers. If you're particularly diligent you may be able to take it apart and clean it out. Personally I wouldn't say it's worth the time, just buy a new printer. Sadly that's how the low end inkjet market works.

If you want guaranteed quality, buy a good (£300+) laserjet. They last for ages and are in the long run cheaper. Main downside is warmup time and size of the printer.

For about 5 years of my IT career I had to work at various sites which had a wide range of printers. They're awful. I'm so glad I no longer have to fix printers any more.
In reply to all:

illl see if I can get some different paper, but I dont see how that would make a difference
Its 190gsm glossy, and ive tried a couple of different paper type settings.
Ill see if I can find the sponge / sump and clean that, but again I dont see how that would help with new head/cartridges
peter-l - on 08 Jan 2017
I have found something in another forum that may be of use.....basically says to do print head alignment with the paper that you are going to be printing on (only when I read it did I realise that I am guilty of only using plain paper for alignment when printing photographs).

Hope this helps,

P.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/1123068#forum-post-12138815

gah getting rather frustrated, opened it up, cleaned the sponges, checked the head which is clean and ink is flowing normally, re did print head alignment. If anything the banding is worse now, alternating pink/blue. Mr Google has failed to help. Its not just about wasting money, it more about not being part of the disposable culture, and the satisfaction of sorting a problem.

Anything else good people?
Lusk - on 08 Jan 2017

I haven't the foggiest, sorry!
Does it do the same printing from a different computer or in another location?
Have you tried using another data cable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.