UKC

Replacing a drawstring?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TomGB 02 Jan 2017
The drawstring has snapped and come out of my waterproof trousers. In an early contender for most niche gear recommendation of 2017...does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement?

Secondly, is there a good way of replacing it other than the incredibly faffy method with a safety pin or somesuch I would do for normal trousers/joggers?

Cheers
 Billhook 02 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:

I've made a long thin wooden pin from a bit of kindling to do this. I've also got an old barbecue skewer which was easil;y converted by doubling over one end to use as the eye. Much quicker than using a safety pin.
 JIMBO 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

> I've also got an old barbecue skewer…

Same but I used duct tape to attach the string...
 Murderous_Crow 02 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:

Depends how generous the 'channel' for the drawstring and its openings are, but I've had success before using a straightened plain wire coat hanger. Works a treat.
 deepsoup 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:
> I've made a long thin wooden pin from a bit of kindling to do this.

Likewise - if there's room, I generally tape the end of the new string to a chopstick or a skewer. Having a bit of length to it makes it much easier to shuffle along than a safety pin.
Lusk 02 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:

Electricians draw rods/fish tape/spring ... handy if you've got one
In reply to TomGB:
Circular knitting needles (small sized!) if you have access to them. Used those in the past taping the new drawstring to one end; they were curved and flexible to go all the way round before needing to pull the new drawstring through.
 mp3ferret 02 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:

If you don;t have anything long and thin at hand - tie a small bead, nut, etc to the end of the string - you'll be able to push it through the cord channel - eventually ....
 GarethSL 02 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:

If you want to be really niche you can use some 6kn/5mm cord and turn your pants into an emergency prusik etc.

Can't imagine it would be very comfortable tho...
OP TomGB 03 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:

cheers all . Anyone know where to get the actual drawstring from? I've only found cord type ones like you'd have in joggers or a drawstring bag. I'd like one with a...thing...with a button...that you pull?
 deepsoup 03 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:
> a...thing...with a button...that you pull?

'Cord lock'? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_lock
 Hat Dude 03 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:

Pennine Outdoor is always a good place for stuff like this

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/buckles-webbing-cord-fittings
 Bimble 03 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:

Old wire coathanger with a small eye twisted into one end with pliers works well for threading.
 andrewmc 03 Jan 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

> If you want to be really niche you can use some 6kn/5mm cord and turn your pants into an emergency prusik etc.

> Can't imagine it would be very comfortable tho...

or, even less comfortably, 3mm dyneema with a >9kN breaking strain... :P
http://www.dinghy-rope.co.uk/marlow-3mm-excel-d12-dyneema.html

PS do not use 3mm cord for PPE.
 Billhook 03 Jan 2017
In reply to TomGB:
I've always been able to get my in local shops and 'general stores' - the sort that sell clothing or clothing accessories such as buttons, wool, cotton, zips and so on. It hardly costs anything and you should be able to get different sized stuff.
Post edited at 19:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...